Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Donald Campbell

It's 50 years ago exactly since Donald Campbell died, in Bluebird on Lake Coniston.
I just thought we should remember.

Re: Donald Campbell

I have the book "Bluebirds" by his daughter Gina Campbell. It's a good read.

My Photoshop tribute :

I remember it well. The BBC covered the story today, describing how Campbell was approaching 300mph in his ROCKET powered boat.

Today the record stands at 317 mph that's 50 years of progress.

My christmas reading was the updated book about his time at Coniston in 1966/7.

I then read Bluebird and the Dead lake.

He was a very driven man. Must have earnt and spent an astronomic amount of money

Malcolm Parker
I remember it well. The BBC covered the story today, describing how Campbell was approaching 300mph in his ROCKET powered boat.

Typical journalist slip up, Bluebird had a JET engine not a Rocket. Still they did try to honour the great man. I remember the hollow feeling I had on that cold morning as the news came in. RIP Donald.

Donald Campbell was one of my boyhood heroes and I well remember this day 50 years ago.

I recently had the privilege of attending a lecture by his nephew (and grandson of Sir Malcolm) Don Wales - himself a record holder under steam power - who spoke movingly and in fascinating detail about the lives and record breaking attempts of both father and son.

Although it carries more than a little weight of controversy, I sincerely hope to one day see the resurrected Bluebird make its way over Coniston in tribute to a driven, legendary, and truly brave man who so proudly flew the flag for Great Britain.

This is the web site for the Bluebird restoration project.

http://www.bluebirdproject.com/

The diary posts have some interesting rants! The technical details and how they are going about things is quite fascinating.

Simon

A sad day indeed. One of my heroes.

I agree it was a sad day,I remember it as a schoolboy. I had a Dinky model of the Bluebird.
A very talented if somewhat impetuous engineer. The film of the run before the fatal one is interesting, I watched it a couple of times at the Lakeland Motor Museum (well worth a visit BTW). It's interesting to see the reconstructed machine.
I know it's easy to have 20:20 vision in hindsight but it didn't seem to be running quite right to me and I was surprised that the record run went ahead.