Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bonnet seals & other matters!

Thanks for the tip! Sounds easier than trying to make piano or S/S clips from wire!
Simple is usually best.
My car has the ends well located, so that is something!
David

Malcolm Parker
When I did the Ulster, I got some stiff wire from the garden centre. I cut off a length that was 1" longer than the distance between the holes and bent the last 1/2" of each end at right angles, so effectively I made a big staple. Once the rubber was in place I used the wire staple to push though it and then bent the ends over to fix it in place. Simpler to do than describe!
The lower ends of the rubber seal need to be finished either with a steel clip similar to that used for the wiring, or a small BA screw with a washer under the head.

Unsurprisingly, exactly the way I've done it a number of times on a number of cars. Simple, galvanised, soft iron wire is all that you need and you can use the rest of the reel to fasten up your Sweet Peas

Steve

I use welding rods/wire to do this job - they also make great choke rods for early cars :)

Hi all - I should add that I also used welding wire (and for the choke)every time - I was just telling David what was original.
DAVID - I should have added that the slotted hole was vertical, not horiz'l. The 1/8" holes were definitely for rivets, the larger holes for bolts which should line up with both your shell and the cow horns, assuming you only have new flitch plates. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill

Got that Bill, we are talking about the same bracket. The vertical slot doesn't really match up well with any other holes, so a little "adjustment" will be in order! I will bolt up the other ,currently unused holes, in due course...should tighten up the front a bit!
My rivets are all good!!
David