Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Inline fuel filter

Hi, I am thinking of fitting an inline fuel filter to my gravity fed system as I have encountered dirt in the Jets.
1, which one is best,plastic or cleanable glass ?

2, will it restrict petrol flow as to cause problems ?

Thanks. Stephen

Re: Inline fuel filter

I have previously used both types in gravity systems. The glass type is not 'full flow' and simply lets debris fall into the bowl. This worked fine for me. On the car with the plastic in-line filter, flow was rather marginal and would occasionally get blocked. I would use the glass type if you can find one.

I would endorse Amilcar John's comments re inline and glass bowl filters.
I have used the exact type of filter you can see here if you scroll halfway down the page:

http://www.villiersparts.co.uk/wip.html

As you can see, the supplier describes it as a fuel tap but it incorporates an effective glass bowl filter. It is intended to screw straight into the base of a gravity fuel tank, hence the tap. In my experience the tap is rather crude and can fail fairly readily if you use it much, so I prefer to fit the filter downstream of the original fuel tap. I remove the filter's tap and replace it with a blanking plug.

This filter has several merits.
It is small (the image I see on my computer screen is more or less full size) and light. I have rather crudely mounted mine on a thin steel bracket with a hole containing a rubber grommet. I sandwich the grommet between the union nut on the (upper) inlet and the body of the filter. This has proved satisfactory on my 1933 tourer since I installed it circa 1973.

The glass bowl is small and relatively thick so that, when you drop it, it probably won't break.

Both my supercharged cars now have these filters.
As you will appreciate, fuel demand in these cars is rather greater than some. One car has an electric fuel pump and this car initially had an in line filter of the glass tube type. It gave no trouble but was fiddly to disassemble for cleaning. I fitted the same type to the second blown car, which has gravity feed without much head. It was fine with a perfectly clean filter but a small amount of crud gave rise to fuel starvation.

I discovered this by the roadside at night. I can tell you that the glass tube of the inline filter will break if you drop it. Not recommended! Replacement with the little Wipac filter has been completely satisfactory. I think it has been on this car about 7 years now and I have fitted one to the other car as well, worth it just for ease of maintenance.

The only other remark about these particular filters is that the union thread is something odd and it is well worth buying an extra nut and olive unless you have a comprehensive supply of such things.

Hope this is of assistance,
Regards, Stuart

Thanks for your help.

I will look for a glass one.

Stephen.

Ebay, item : 302160555413