Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Distributor gear lubrication

There is no reference in handbooks 1095A or 1725 to lubricating the coil ignition distributor gears.
I assume the housing should be packed with gear grease? Any recommendations?

Re: Distributor gear lubrication

Henry,

They definitely benefit from removing the dynamo end cap and lubricating otherwise the gears wear to the extent that failure occurs and the timing slips.

Too much or too thin grease will be flung off and go into the dynamo so best to check with one of the classic lubricate suppliers on the most suitable grease.

David

For what it's worth, I don't pack the housing with grease but I do "lard up" the gears with high melting point lithium grease, the same as I use for wheel bearings. As has been said, it is treading the fine line, lubricating sufficiently the gears whilst avoiding grease contamination of the commutator.

Ian Mc.

The only grease that does any good is that on the gears. I fill the worm and wormwheel with molyslip grease.
If the oilite bush in the body at the commutator end is in good condition then there is little chance of grease ingress onto the commutator .
You can remove the distributor occasionally to see the state of play and re grease accordingly, suggest every 10,000 miles.
With genuine Lucas gears expect 40,000 miles before replacement is needed. Do not use a bronze distributor gear they wear out in next to no time.