Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PA Speedometer face transfers

I recall seeing a supplier listed for speedo face transfers, have searched the topics without success. Could someone remind me again, please?

Re: PA Speedometer face transfers

Poole Repro sells replacement faces which may be easier, but you can print your own which is what I did.

Try this thread, 10 years old though.

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2099944454&frmid=5&msgid=603604&cmd=show

Do you mean Willie (austinrepro.com) Doug ?

Bruce White has some faces you can copy & print.

here

There is a page 1 for other faces

here

Has anyone any experience of reproducing/faking silver-faced instruments? I have a low-reading gauge I would like to use to show tank air pressure, but would like it to match my other (Smiths) gauges

If you google 'Dial resilvering' you'll fimd a load of info on the subject. Also the compounds needed to do it.
I successfully re-silvered a Smiths car clock dial this way.

Thanks! That tells me how to get the dial silvered, but I still need to find a way to apply the lettering, given that I don't have an original engraved face. Any ideas?

Nigel, yes Wille in Poole.

John re getting the lettering on a sliver face you will just need to use a transparent transfer and not a black one. But if you do not have an image your a bit stuck unless you can find one on the internet. The next option would be a Specalist in gauge refurb who may have the image.

If you have photoshop it is relatively easy to design, print and install. You can get photoshop on a trial basis.

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. Douglas, I assume you used phographic paper for printing. Did you have to seal the surface in any way?

I guess that I can use printable transfers like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Decal-Clear-Waterslide-Laser-Paper-4-x-A5-Sheets-65p-per-Sheet-Fast-Delivery-/201775052715?hash=item2efabaf7ab:g:mjMAAOSwG-1WvF3G

But first I need to master the graphics package...

John have a look a Crafty Computer they sell decal paper which you can print on with ink jet or laser printer. The inkjet need sealing with clear lacquer which they sell laser just print and use. Once sealed you then cut them out soak in water and slide the transfer off and on to the item to receive the transfer, same as an Airfix kit.

I had some paper left over and went a bit mad creating period stickers for my tool box.

https://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/decal-paper-c553/laser-water-slide-decals-c565

MG Rev counter with period face but with speed in 4th added.

photo IMG_0625_zpsnik6etcc.jpg

First Class! Douglas, Exactly what I need. Many thanks. John

I believe that inkjet ink can be transferred with heat. If an item is printed in mirror image onto paper then that is placed on the target surface and the back ironed with a hot iron the ink should transfer. Would need to be sealed.

Jim Holyoake
I believe that inkjet ink can be transferred with heat. If an item is printed in mirror image onto paper then that is placed on the target surface and the back ironed with a hot iron the ink should transfer. Would need to be sealed.

Hi Jim,
You can with a laser/toner printer but as far as I know not with inkjet - hence the suggestion by Douglas in an earlier post to create a transfer using 'Crafty Computer paper' decal transfer paper.

Steve V.