Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Zenith 26VA carb leaking and refuses to rev

Two obvious possibilities arise. The first thing to do is remove the float chamber by undoing the two bolts at the adges of the flat portion on the top of the carburettor. Inside you will see the float which must be removed by inverting the chamber. Shake the float to investigate whether it has petrol inside it, which you will hear swilling around. If this is the case you need to get another float from somewhere. They may be available from Burlen at Salisbury, possibly of a new design to combat the effects of modern petrol. The other problem could be the valve in the top of the float chamber; this is screwed into the underside of the top of the float chamber. There may be dirt in it preventing proper seating of the needle, or the needle and seat may be worn to the point where seating becomes a matter of luck. Again relacement may be possible from Burlen. Second hand parts can be obtained which could prove serviceable, and I could sell you a complete carburettor, as I am sure could many other people. You would still have an old type float, with its soldered seam, and the solder is subject to corrosion from modern petrol. If you are lucky it will still last a long time, but you don't know how long until it fails!

I had exactly the same problem with my RP a year or so ago. It turned out to be a cracked, leaking float.

I couldn't find a new one, but fortunately 26VA carbs are quite plentiful and I got a complete unit on with a decent float through eBay for about £20. As it turned out, the whole thing was in better condition than the one on the car!

As already said it's either the needle valve failing to close properly or the float is punctured. However once you've removed the float chamber and the float you'll see two brass jets in the bottom of the float chamber. One of the holding screws you have removed should have a squared end which fits in these jets and allows to to remove them. It is possible that grit from the fuel tank is causing your problem, so clean the jets out while you're at it - use air not a wire. Replacement needle valves are available from our usual suppliers.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

Very many thanks to everyone for their prompt response to my carburettor woes! I will dismantle the carb as advised over the weekend, and hopefully will be able to get it sorted - at least to the point where I know which new or used parts I will be needing to source. I think I even have a service kit for the carb somewhere amongst the spares which came with the car, but alas I don't believe a new float was included.
Thanks again, and I'll let you know the outcome of my efforts to fashion a repair!
Annabel

Just incase you need it, here's the link to Burlen's Zenith 26VA page with a useful zoomable exploded diagram - unfortunately it doesn't appear as if they supply new floats for the 26VA, though they do produce them for different types of SU carb. I'm sure the cherished suppliers will be able to supply you with a used float if yours proves to be defective.

http://zenithcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/2841/

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Gower and Lee are an alternative supplier of Zenith parts, they may have the bits you need. A google search should find them.
John

Have you recently run low or run out of petrol? If so it could just be dirt.