Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: History of my car

Edmund,

Just out of interest, Surrey County Archives have some contemporary photographs on file (not available to view via the net as far as I can tell) showing six new Dennis refuse lorries supplied to the London Borough of Lambeth in 1932, these bore the registrations GX 9428 to GX 9433 - this might suggest that your car was similarly first registered in the Lambeth district of South London - it narrows it down a little bit !

Both Martin and I will post the photos to the site for you - just email them to either of us. To post them to this thread yourself you'd need a Photobucket, Flickr or similar image sharing account to host the photos.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Jeff, you're obviously a fellow Autonumerologist. Do you know whether the system of issuing blocks of new registrations to car dealerships was operating in 1932? It's often struck me when looking at the A7CA Register that dates of first registration for a particular authority don't run tidily in the same order as the registrations, but (obvious errors aside) tend to jump about by a couple of months either way, possibly indicating the rates of sales of different dealerships.

I'd need your email address, if I click on the emails link at the end of each reply, it sends them to my email.

Interesting little fact about the lambeth connection though

I've just sent you an email.

Jeff.

Edmund Quayle
I'd need your email address, if I click on the emails link at the end of each reply, it sends them to my email.

The Email thing looks like a link, but isn't. If you hold the cursor on it, the actual email address should appear in the bottom left corner of your screen.

Edmund's photos of his rather smart RP / RN - GX 2980

Uploaded by Jeff.

Thanks Jeff.

She didn't look that smart when I found her im afraid

Very nice, and definitely an RP body, but six months too early for that to be possible based on the paperwork.

It's all going to come down to finding the original numbers.

Nice RP saloon which it appears to have acquired the identity of an RN at some time in it's past, not an unusual occurrence I'm afraid. Back in the 1960s my mate had a road legal Ruby saloon which had seen better days, he then acquired a very tidy 4 seat tourer of the same year which had no tax or MOT needless to say tourer acquired the ruby's identity and it's still around today with the Ruby's number. If you do that you have to do it sensibly, one gentleman in Stockport merely bolted the new numberplate on top of the original on his Morris and an eagle eyed member of the constabulary spotted it. Those were the days when if you didn't want a policeman there was always one there and when you wanted one, none was to be found.

Well I'm on my way home now to look, so will hopefully be able to get that information on here later on

Ok. Iv bombarded Jeff with emails containing pictures, some won't send, some will, My apologies to Jeff

What I have found from various parts of the car are as follows.

Number on transmission tunnel is
RP6525
Car number on near side scuttle under side of fuel tank. BS 9788 (definitely BS, not B8 or B5)
Engine number (stamped on block ) M178849.
Chassis number 176015, this is on an aluminium plate figured to the chassis just before the rear nearside engine mount & may be covering one stamped on the chassis itself.

Hope this helps & many thanks for all your help so far, an amazing resource this site.

More from Edmund, more to follow ...............

Uploaded by Jeff.

Ed, I think that any further discussion should be private.

Final few from Edmund .......

Uploaded by Jeff.

Just my comment- all ID plates pop riveted on should be treated with caution as with rounded corner ID plates.

Cheers, Tony.

Edmund - you may be disappointed for a while with the info you've received, but I'm sure you'll be enthused with what was/will be a lovely-looking car when you're mobile in it. Your great photos will also be a great help to many restoring their cars in future. Good Luck with it, Cheers, Bill

Thankyou Bill

I greatly enjoy driving her & she always gets a great reception from other road users & members of the public at shows, or when I nip into town in her & park her by the curb.
Someone always has a memory to share with me, or a question to ask about her

Email sent.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

What I'd really like to know is who's owned her, where's she been & what she's been up to over the years

I supposed what I was looking for was"oh that's uncle George's old car, he found it in a hedge, fixed it up & drove it all around the North West"

I could make something up for you if that helps - I'm quite good at telling fibs...

As per my e-mail.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

Ha ha 😃

I'm really happy with all the response Iv had actually, this forum is a fantastic resource for we Austineers

It's easy to fit a RN tank to a RP and it's less prone to rot which may be why your car has a RN tank, however where is the outlet? Most RN tanks I've seen have a tap on the nearside bottom corner, or is yours off a van with a petrol gauge sender on offside? I can't remember where the van tank outlet is.

I have both, tap under glove box & a fuel gauge.
The tank looks fairly new. There was a lot of rot in the rear when I got her, this had very very crude repairs over the years, but I suppose these repairs at least kept her going.
I knew she was an RP with a tank that had been fitted in the front at some time & that the registration dated from 1932, but these sort of things were done to keep what were at one time, just old bangers.

Three friends of mine in my car club have 'box of bits cars' an Ulster, an MG J2 with a supercharger an an SS100.
None with any history, all worth a fortune.

I'm just going to keep on motoring & having fun 😀