Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear crank bearings up

I went down the "restraining the crank from the back" route after discussions with Frank Hernandez and wouldn't really consider any other way now.
Ball race at the rear, twin ball races at the front. The only complexity is that you need to put the rear bearing on the crank whilst it's held in a vice. Tighten the flywheel to a known repeatable torque (either with a massive torque wrench or a repeatable angular torque- it needs to be effing tight). You then accurately (to the thou) measure the gap between the back of the flywheel and the bearing (I used slip gauges) and make a spacer to fit with a thou or two clearance. Put it all together, retighten the flywheel to the same setting and bobs your uncle.
No front flange to fail.
No pressing the clutch and loading the crank still further when it's suffering maximum whip at 6,000 rpm.

Charles

Re: Rear crank bearing

Tom,
What's your theory re deep groove ball at the rear and SA roller at the front? I was thinking a self aligning roller at the rear would be capable of coping with a higher radial load than the deep groove ball. Bearing loading at the flywheel end is surely higher than the front? If there is no room for expansion it might cause problems,such as overloading the thrust faces of the rolling elements and inner races spinning on the crankshaft. You have probably thought about these possibilities and I am talking through my er... hat. Tony Press who is a contributor on here will have a better idea than me I think.
Good luck,
Dave.

I retained the rear bearing,making a spacer to the exact width as you have done Charles on 3 engines now.I know others using a belleville washer to do the same thing.
My advice came from a well respected and clever A7 engine builder who claims he never broke a crank in 20 years of racing in days when new cranks were not available.
Using self aligning double row ball races front and back to allow the crank to flex rather than trying to stop it.
On 2 engines I bored the front housing out and fitted a steel sleeve to allow the front bearing to float.
Again as you say Charles I can't imagine the stresses imposed on a crankshaft pressing down on the clutch as 6,000!

I've had an email query about "how tight is 'effing".

My use of the vernacular was simply because since I don't have a 3/4" drive commercial vehicle torque wrench or torque multiplier, I couldn't measure it.
I used a 3ft tube on a 1/2" wrench and heaved it as far as I absolutely could up to a repeatable position that I then marked on the flywheel. Then I measured the space, made the spacer, fitted it and heaved up to the same tippexed mark on the flywheel.
Measured no. Sophisticated, no. Repeatable, yes. Tight, absolutely.

A repeated response to a repeat topic.

Most cranks crack on the inside radii so perhaps should keep foot on clutch permanently! Has anyone noticed if revved cranks fail from the outside near centre, more as expected?

In view of modern ratings, and the bearings in motorcycles, the Seven crank bearings seem generous. In their day usually corroded long before traditional spalliing failure. Is the latter ever found? A ball race would seem very adequate. The load rating of expensive self aligning balls is less than a simple race.

All the texts advise against restrained races at both end of shafts.

Any deflection is only about gasket thickness. It is hard to imagine the Seven crankcase preventing crank deflections, even with preloaded ac races. With these, does the front flange routinely fail on revved or supercharged engines?

I suspect the inertia of the spinning flywheel restricts firing deflection more than the bearings do (which possibly accounts for frequent failure adjacent flywheel, where bending moment otherwise low).

If using a ball race at rear a tolerance with some tilt allowance as specified for semi floating axle shafts would seem appropriate. With a roller at the front and a (worn) roller or mt race as spacer.

The BSA car had a ball at rear with the taper fit flywheel not abutting directly. Cannot discern spacer arrangement. I vaguely recall a print of Seven based Jap car was similar. Anyone encountered these?

I suppose the very front bearing moderates hammering of timing gear and a ball race may dampen shortening and lengthening of the crank under firing?