Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Serious mistake

Whilst it is sad to see a good car destroyed or poorly restored, it is really a case of personal taste, some want a better than factory fresh example others are happy with a totally original wreck,in most cases it is the joy of doing the work to get the car to a standard you are personally happy with that counts, we spend hours, months even years doing this, then only a few days a year actually driving the car only to sell it on, hopefully at a profit to start the process all over again, what is even worse is having friends with the same mindset and spending hours in their workshop helping them with their projects at the same time.
The fact is once its sold and gone it will be making someone else happy even if they do turn it into a sows ear, but if we cant be happy with what we do then there is no point in doing it.

The sad fact is, that if you want to do something "controversial" with a classic car or bike, it's a lot easier if you start with a vehicle that's been thoroughly restored. Someone else has already done all of the mucky stuff.

In 1991 I sold a very tidy and cared for A30 van (a vehicle with a low survival rate). When the chap had paid for it, he turned to his mate, laughed and announced his intention to rip it apart. I checked a few times and the DVLA website showed it hadn't been taxed again. I was never sure if it was hot rodded or banger raced. 25 years later a photo of it appeared on a friend's Facebook page. The new owner bought it and tod me it sat for 20 years stripped out, with the floors cut out and many parts missing. It is now looking like it did when I sold it... funny how things go round in circles.

I had a similar experience to Charles. I restored a 1925 Bungalow I had purchased from the original owner. Found a period wc sink and toilet, both matching. Sleeved and machined the faucets, etc. replated in nickel. It recently sold for almost 3 times what I sold it for in 2003. Now it sports a new old style sink and toilet. Republic faucets gone. Original tile gone. Plaster replaced by drywall. Sad and mad about it.

Perhaps one of you can help me, our house was built about 1910 and the bath might be the original but it has lost all of it's enamel however I have inspected new baths in all sorts of showrooms from B & Q to top of the market and they all have one failing which ours doesn't. Now unless the human form has radically changed me and SWMBO have round bottoms which sit comfortably in our curved bottom bath whilst all the new ones have flat bottoms and are a pain in the butt to sit in, that's progress for you. Does anybody re-enamel baths, not just slap a coat of white paint on?

Googling "bath re-enamelling" throws up a lot of companies that restore cast iron baths

Dave, I just sent you a PM, but your point on modern fixtures is something I've noted form many years. Sinks with dead flat bottoms, on the inside are very trendy now and have been for some time. I looked at one that was hooked up in a showroom. Water was remaining in the bottom. Sinks should be curved to the drain, so that they drain. I guess bathroom fixture designers have trouble with fluid concepts.

Thank you Erich, I think I've found a company in the north west most appear to be at the other end of the country or are on site which isn't vitreous enamelling.
The amount of modern items which are not fit for purpose or designed without much thought is amazing.