Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rist horn

Well, I better have a go at adjusting mine on a day when the neighbours are out

I have a restored original Rist horn on the Pearl. It's main function is to amuse Sunday walkers and the MOT man. The sound can best be described as like an elderly sheep. Maybe adjustment time, or maybe corrosion in the diaphragm causes mechanical losses ?

When I tune/setup one of these horns I connect a test meter in series set to read amps.
I then set the the adjusting screw for the lowest current draw while still giving consistency of tone/output.

Steve V.

Reckless Rat
No it's definitely an original one although I have taken it to bits and rebuilt it as per the Cornwall A7 Club's recommendations. Having found Ivor Hawkins' short video on you tube, perhaps I'm being too optimistic - the output on mine sounds roughly the same:

HERE

RR

Perhaps its just the video. But that sounds more like a buzzer than a horn.

The RP my father gave my daughter has a Klaxette as well as the Rist. The Rist is far louder.

A day's fiddling appears to be needed then. Will update if I get any more volume out of it.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie