Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Radiator support on a special

Hello,

I am building a special using a Rod Yates body on a long chassis.
I plan to have a short radiator + surround. I have started looking at what I need and bought a pair of support brackets which are of the lower clearance type from Austin Repros, A7 Component sell the same ones.
I am trying to understand how they fit. The holes at the front look like they bolt through the front of the surround and this appears to fit correctly using the rad and surround I have but I cannot understand the long tails on the brackets as these come way clear of the shell. Do they bolt to the cow horns or am I getting something wrong.
I can add a pic to show them in place in a radiator shell if that would help.
I am hoping someone has seen these before.
I was going to attach a photo but could not see how to do it?

Thanks
Paul.

Re: Radiator support on a special

This is how I did it

The two cow horns are mounted on the front chassis member and you can see the rad shell clipped in place. With the flitch panels attached to the cow horns I found the point at which the shell would sit comfortably and the panels were drilled through to carry the shell.
The rad sits on mountings on the lower floor of the shell

Thanks Duncan, it is mounting the rad inside the shell that I am struggling with. I did manage to attache a photo of the supports I have.

Paul.

Here's a pic of the brackets I have:
 photo IMG_1083_zpsoqzlrh3u.jpg

The rad should sit on two rectangular box-like parts which have a flat squared U shape channel on top usually with fibre shock /scratch resist material in the channel.

Those are the ones. Mine have a woven fabric lining on which the bottom of the rad sits.

Paul your brackets are for the 29 type shell, the type after the short Chummy black rad.
The tail end of the bracket sits on the inside end of the rad shell support bracket and bolts through the shell and the bottom inside corner of the flitch panels. They are too far forward to bolt onto the cow horns. Hope this helps Ian

Thanks Ian, that clears it up.
I will need to check the depth of base the rad shell I will be using before I know which brackets I need.

Paul.