Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin 7 GE Cup for sale

Just saw this add on this GE Cup for sale . Looks a nice Replica !!

http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad215532.html

Re: Austin 7 GE Cup for sale

It is a really nice car , a local car I know well having had a hand in the metalwork !

Hi . This car is really nice . Don't think it's a replica . It's a genuine ge cup

I'm quite sure this car has always been a Cup too !

I saw this advert as well.
I wasn't sure on the shape of the wings, they look a bit to wide and flat at the rear. Or is it just me?

How would you tel when it is a genuine cup ? can anybody answer . thanks

grund7

Not a genuine Cup, New Body, New Wings, New everything. The only genuine part is the Austin rolling chassis which may have had a chummy or saloon body originally unless he can produce a buff logbook, so we may call it replica or continuation.

Nick Larkin
grund7

Not a genuine Cup, New Body, New Wings, New everything. The only genuine part is the Austin rolling chassis which may have had a chummy or saloon body originally unless he can produce a buff logbook, so we may call it replica or continuation.

That's the ad : Austin 7 Gordon England Cup, exact date of manufacture unknown but first registered March 1928, two previous owners, restoration 2000 to 2013 and on the road. Original chassis & magneto engine

Seller is saying he does not know exact date of manufacture and acknowledge that chassis and engine only are original but that does not mean it was a GE cup at one time.
So a replica

Probably best to speak with the owner , the car has paperwork from the DVLA to say it started life as a Gordon England 2 seater in 1928 .

There are ways of telling. But you'd probably have to look at pre resro pictures.

I have a genuine Cup. All the running gear, a little bodywork. No paperwork.

I thought I knew what it was. Those in the know confirmed. Theres a thread on here somewhere with pictures.

With respect to bodywork. I bought a replica body for mine. Before I did I spent hours looking at period photos of original car. I did not study any modern photos.

My conclusion is that there are at least two distinct body styles. Most modern bodies and replicas seem to have a very bulbous boot cover. This is quite correct and typical, but there were also cars with a more subtle less bulbous boot cover. My 'new' body has been made on these lines. There is variation in screens. Bonnets as well as the wings and radiator cowl. Essentially we need to remember these are coachbuilt/handbuilt cars.

Without the before evidence, it would be very difficult to tell, on way or another with a restored car.

Simon North
Probably best to speak with the owner , the car has paperwork from the DVLA to say it started life as a Gordon England 2 seater in 1928 .

DVLA are the last people we can trust to tell us who's what after the last 2 years Saga.

DVLA can certified it is a 1928 but on what basis can they claim it is a Gordon England.

Simon North

He means it is't worth the paper written on it.

Simon it depend what he is asking for? if the seller think the letter of DVLA is going to add few thousand to the price, it will not wash with buyers.

Well I heard through the grapevine that there's a debate on about the car I have for sale so I thought it only right to check it out.

The first registered owner was a chap called Harrison Townsend and in 1933 he bought a Military Austin 7 and used the Gordon England for spares, all that was left was the chassis engine and gear box. When asked if he could remember the registration he confirmed KD 906. When the DVLA were asked for details of KD 906 they confirmed the chassis & engine numbers, and that Mr Townsend was the first registered owner of a Black Gordon England Cup.

Now, I can follow the point that there's nothing of Gordon Englands handy work left, that there's no original log book, and that the DVLA are not always spot on but for the original owner and DVLA to confirm the records I would say it started out life as a Gordon England Cup car.

The car has been rebuilt, I hope as closely as reasonable to its original spec (there are still some details to be improved), and I'm told by those in the know, it's very nice car and the price is in the right ball park.

Always open to offers!

Hi Mark.

I am always interested in posting build photos of Cup and other GE bodied cars - if you have some that you are willing to share I would be very interested, along with the story of this car.

See: https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress.com

Hope to hear from you.