Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rust removal.

You could try Bilt Hamber's Deox C, 1 Kg costs about £14.00 and mixed with 10 to 20 litres of water is very effective. I have various plastic containers, from bucket to the bottom 12" of 1000 litre oil container for derusting items up to an RN doors and wings. You don't have to wear gloves and it's environmentally friendly.

I have used agricultural molasses with great success, cheap, environmentally friendly and seems to be non aggressive to metals. There are several videos on You Tube on the subject. Good luck with the recovery.

Oxford jack
I have used agricultural molasses with great success, cheap, environmentally friendly and seems to be non aggressive to metals. There are several videos on You Tube on the subject. Good luck with the recovery.

Presumably this involves getting a cow to lick off the rust?

Charles. Rural Norfolk

Dave Mann
You could try Bilt Hamber's Deox C, 1 Kg costs about £14.00 and mixed with 10 to 20 litres of water is very effective. I have various plastic containers, from bucket to the bottom 12" of 1000 litre oil container for derusting items up to an RN doors and wings. You don't have to wear gloves and it's environmentally friendly.

I was going to suggest this stuff, there is hydrate 80 also available from amazon etc which is available as a paint on gel or dilute with water which leaves a dull grey finish on previously rusty metal.I've seen a brake disc done with this and it appears to work well.
I think it won a best buy award from practical classics.

Hello Stuart
Just one caution for using electrolysis on any structural components.
Apparently this process can cause hydrogen embrittlement!
Adrian.

A method I've used a lot is to make up a solution of Oxalic Acid in water and soak the rusty part in it; Just use a plastic bucket or bin. The metal is not attacked but the rust is dissolved and turns into a sort of green sludge. Oxalic Acid is relatively benign and is used as a wood bleach. Here's a work in progress photo of one I did earlier, apologies for it not being an A7 part.

I bought mine from these people (usual disclaimer only a customer etc.

http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/Item/oxalic_acid

Stuart, did you use the 1 kilo to 7 or 9 litres of water to get that result?
It sounds to be very usefull for cleaning up smalbits.
Any downsides?

Dave Wheatley
Stuart, did you use the 1 kilo to 7 or 9 litres of water to get that result?
It sounds to be very usefull for cleaning up smalbits.
Any downsides?

I've never used any especially scientific measurement I'm afraid It seems to work at very low concentrations, But to get a result in a several hours on everything but the most crusty bits,I use a bit less than 1/2 a baked bean can of the crystals to 5 litres or so of water; at a guess, that probably represents a bit less than 1/2 kilo to 9 litres. The crystal dissolve much quicker if the water is a bit warm.

Not found any real downside with Oxalic Acid, it seems particularly good for precision machined parts. I rescued a Jones & Shipman precision grinding machine that had a seized and rusted Z axis column using it; said column (and grinder) works fine now with zero play in the affected part.

To get quicker results, it is necessary to agitate the solution once in a while; once the Oxalic Acid starts working a green slimy deposit appears on the component where the rust used to be. stirring the solution with a stick or such causes the slime to settle to the bottom of the bucket and speeds the de-rusting process up.

You can leave your parts in the solution for days -I have, once the parts are de-rusted, nothing else happens to the metal. But once you do remove the parts and wash them off, the metal will get a light coating of rust straight away if you don't spray it with WD40 or similar. A weak solution of soluble coolant as used in metal lathes etc. makes a great final rinse to stop this issue.

Not tried it myself but I believe Coke is a good rust remover,does it contain oxalic acid in its recipe?

Peter Clayton
Not tried it myself but I believe Coke is a good rust remover,does it contain oxalic acid in its recipe?

Coke contains phosphoric acid. That's the main ingredient in a lot of rust treatments. Oxalic acid is often sold as wooden deck cleaner and can be found in hardware shops (Bunnings has it in Aus and NZ).

Simon

Re the possibility of removing some of the metal with an electrolysis bath, I used this method for years, utilising a household enamel bath. I found no evidence of damage to the metal. Cheers, Bill

As Roger mentioned there is lots on line. The site http://freechemistryonline.com/removal-of-rust-from-iron.html seems the most succinct. It claims no embrittlement with alkali....

I think I grasp electroplating but how the cathode comes to be selectively stripped of rust is not explained. Have we any chemists?

The dangers of embrittlement may be unknown to many. To be avoided with HT steel and particularly spring steel as road springs and spokes.
Chrome plating of such parts esp suspect; not only causes embrittlement but also proneness to fatigue, the latter not necessarily remedied by heating.