Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: luggage rack

Its a bloody good idea. Ive bent the floor on my RL since fitting the luggage rack. I shall probably take it off.

Re: luggage rack

Hi,
My employer, Mentor and Friend was Len Southward.(LBS).
He was very kind to me and taught me most of my intimate knowledge of Sevens. The main reason for the chassis Strengthening trick was to prevent the chassis bending forward of the steering box and giving the car a nose up appearance. the relatively big hole for the steering box /brake pedal was the reason for weakness in this area in his and my opinion . I have seen many chassis which support this fact.
Len told me he did variations on this modification which enabled the seven to be fitted with a tow bar. He reckoned the increased torsion of the chassis was a good thing and stopped the cars breaking their backs on the rough country back-roads prevalent here in the '30s.
Len used to re-bore Austin Sevens with the engine in - situ with a van Norman portable bar which he kindly gave to me when I was an apprentice.
The cost in 1935 was 5 pounds (including new Pistons) and was done same - day. Five pounds was around two weeks pay if you had a job then!