Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mystery cylinder head?

There's a head for sale at the moment on that well known internet auction site here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282334990546?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

While the description is vague mentioning both Reliant and Ford, it does look very A7ish - but not quite? The stud spacings and cooling holes are slightly different?

Is this one of the Rosengart, Dixi or Bantam variants? Clearly the manifold side is on the left unlike the mirror image engines.

Any collective wisdom recognising this?

Dave

Re: Mystery cylinder head?

I would say its more ford sidevalve, the Reliant Side valve engine has the distributor shaft coming through the front of the head

I forgot to put in the original post (and the edit facility doesn't seem to come up?) that Reliant heads I've seen are all A7 derivitives with the same late Ruby 14mm plug chamber, the distributor hole at the front and a dynamo platform. I'm no wizz on Ford stuff but it doesn't look big enough for Ford and don't they have a dynamo through the head? Or is this an earlier again Ford (8?) head?

Dave

All the Reliant SV heads I have seen have a large hole at the front nearside for the distributor to fit into.

Scrolling down the page gives a clue !!

I'm certain that it's not from a Ford.

Everything apart from the water outlet looks A7.

marine head?
Steve V.

Lowespeed
Scrolling down the page gives a clue !!

the only clue that gives is that the seller has no idea what it is.

It's certainly not Ford, nor does it fit a Reliant Robin!

The combustion chamber shape suggests early 1930s rather than late 1930s, and it certainly looks like it originated in Longbridge - both in the general shape and in the casting markings; but the Austin Ten, Big Seven and Eight all had the water offtake in the centre of the head, so that leaves ... I haven't a clue!

The cast outlet would be more robust that the standard arrangement. Could it be a military spec?

... but military or marine applications don't explain the different stud layout ...

Not Ford 8or10hp side valve,distributor shaft hole is on nearside,no hole.

I am sure this type of head has been discussed here before. Whilst the general layout is Austin Seven like, the head stud layout differs, note the centre stud is not in line with the others (or visa versa). The centre water transfer hole also looks v large.

I've no idea what it is. Just to note Rosengart unlike other foreign built sevens did not have mirror built engines and were also right hand drive, atleast until the Adler company got involved circa 1936

My guess is that it'll be a 1920 Coventry Climax head. They made lots of engines in that period for 'assemblers'.

I believe it may be a Triumph Super 7 cylinder head

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=143412

Regards

Ben

Thanks Ben, mystery solved!

I recall that Stanley Edge told me that he worked briefly on the Triumph after he left Longbridge.