Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cracks in steering components....

the stub axle crack is quite common.

like hedd ive scrapped plenty.

the crack will run horizontal.

it you turn the stub round for a view from the rear.

austin made a small mistake of useing a standard cutter. so the corners are square instead of having a small radius in them.

this seems to be the fail point for the crack.

sorry pearl but when there are still plenty of good stubs about for around £10 to £20 i dont see anyone stoopid enough to make new ones at ill guess around £150 each.

and even if they were in short supply, i can hear alot of HOW MUCH coming

always felt if i could spell, or even read. i would right a book called the CRACKING little car. as there are plenty of others to look for.

tony.

Some years back I think it was David Cochrane who had a load of original steering arms tested and found a very high percentage had a crack developing on the inner radius of the bend. Most could not be seen with the naked eye.

I did also hear last year of an instance where the drop arm had sheared - luckily at a time when the car was moving very slowly.

Worth making very regular checks on these components as 80 odd years of 'push/pull' is almost bound to have weakened them

Despite the considerable publicity this vital topic is still new info for newcomers. It really needs a six monthly bring up.
Probably the best overview is on the A7 Components site.

It is dangerous to presume that cracks will be visible before failure. Many 1/3 of the way through are not. If the centre dot represents the visible end of the unusual mid arm crack, someone has had a close escape! The steering arms also crack at the shoulder, a tendency which better shaped new arms may not avoid. The shoulder must seat appropriately and the nut kept tight to pretension.
Hauling on the steering wheel should be avoided. If wedged in a tight park better to pull the wheels lock to lock by hand. (Tugging on the wheel does have the merit of often ensuring failure at low speed!)

Stub axles I have tested seemed headed to fail across the diameter, a more dangerous situation than the photo. The cracks were only apparent with magnetic detector and would probably have been OK for thousands of miles. Left stub was cracked at 100,000 but that included very many miles of corrugations and broken edges seldom encountered now. Curiously the Big 7 stubs seem the same despite extra weight.

I have told the story before but it may bemuse some. My father experienced a failed arm over 65 years ago. The car was negotiating a tight sweeping bend at 30 mph but did not respond. The wheel was instinctively wrenched causing the drop arm to cut through the horn wire and open the throttle. The car hit a deep gutter at a tangent and continued until abruptly stopped by a vehicle crossing bridge. The horn was blaring and the engine running full tilt! A firm was persuaded to weld the arm so could drive home. A good replacement was difficult to find. We took a keen interest in the topic of metal fatigue ever since. At the time few had heard of but the Comet crashes later introduced to all.

Axle beams also crack where the H section starts.
It is also prudent to eye the rear main spring leaves occasionally as a complete break at the wrong moment can be exciting.

My father had great faith in his Seven and trusted it to go anywhere. He had never heard of a failed crank and would have been horrified to learn of the similar tendency (although the original survives).

I looked at the steering arm on my RK and it seemed alright, it even rang true, but when I gave to my friend,who prepares historic F1 for racing, he had it crack tested. It failed across the knuckle. I bought a new one. Therefore when I do finally get the little treasure back on the road I can feel safe i won't be exploring the hedgerows. Alf

i think for simplicity and safety this swap is a given.. just done mine the original seemed ok and came out easily and its replacement fitted just as easily.. peace of mind for 30 minutes and 75 quid.

Hi Tony

Always enjoy your straight shootin comments, but the crack about cracks would have got me excommunicated! (again)

Admittedly based on a small sample but the stub axle cracks I detected definitely started on the wheel side, slightly further out and were headed straight up through the tubular section. Both on Girling stubs and previous. Probably would have been visible well before failure, but it is unwise to assume that all latent failures will become as obvious and be as benign as the photo.