Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear brake cables

Stainless steel cable and turnbuckles will be available from almost all marine chandlers.

Ruairidh Dunford
Placing the adjuster at the rear is a stroke of genius, since seeing it on another car for the first time I have done many like this.

This all sounds like an excellent idea but my RP, with what I believe has 'standard' brakes has ball and cup joints at the rear wheels.

If I were to change to a clevis at both ends arrangement which rear brake levers should I be looking for?

Turnbuckles are generally called bottle screws by the boating fraternity. All sorts and sizes are available but I doubt one could find something with wide enough jaws to fit directly onto an existing clevis unless it was quite big. Mind you I haven't looked.

Also...although they have locking nuts they have a habit of unscrewing (on my boats anyway) and are best wired to prevent this.

Chris
Try S3i
https://www.s3i.co.uk/stainless-steel-turnbuckle.php

They have a complete range of all sorts of marine and other stainless fittings. At Bawtry so fairly local but give good online service
I have used them for bits for my boat in the past but just not got around to sizing up rigging crews for the RP yet.

Regards
david

I have fitted turnbuckles to the rear brakes on both of my 1930 Austin Sevens.

I manufactured new pieces shown arrowed red in the following photo but made them Six inches long.
 photo P1010741edit_zpskqesmjqx.jpg
This new piece is painted black in the following photos.
The next picture shows it asembled and the following picture shows the assembly with the turn buckle.
 photo P1020597_zpsaltgjnke.jpg
 photo P1020596_zpsqfjen9ty.jpg

By increasing the length of this item, it brings the turn buckle to the edge of the wheel where it is much easier to adjust.
Bryan

I stand corrected both with regard to my nomenclature and the range of turnbuckles available but fear that Brian's modifications are beyond my meagre skills!

That looks a very worthwhile modification. Much better than the adjusters that kink the cable.
I find I have to keep fiddling with the back brakes on my split braked 1929 car. There's no compensation between them and one usually wears more than the other.
If I've been using the back brakes reasonably hard and then stop I get feel both back wheels. If one is hotter than the other I tweak the balance.
Judicious use of an adjuster on one side and the wing nut on the rod from the pedal usually resets things.
Would any supplier consider offering them?

When i converted mine i was able to use the eye on the turnbuckle to connect with the original forked end on the shortened cable.I then needed to replicate the forked end on the other side of the turnbuckle so i bought to two clevis ends from a local pnuematics supplier.they are riveted and pinned to the thread.My turnbuckles were from Wickes with an 8mm thread[the ones from Screwfix were a very strange thread and much inferior].
Andy

The only caveat I can visualise with such a set-up is the extra weight of the extension and the turnbuckle on a section of the cable which is subject to suspension deflection. Could the momentum exchanges be sufficient to overcome the resistance of the pull-off springs and cause the brake to activate?

Just a thought.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

eBay item number:161733000985 maybe these are a good option?

Peter,
I used one enclosed turnbuckle like this and a similar one with eyelet ends.
I tranfered one clevis end with an eyelet end, giving two turnbuckles, each with one clevis and one eyelet end. See my third picture above.
Bryan