Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ruby History

Re the car dealership in Golders Green, are you sure it wasn't Hirsts Motors of Armitage Road, Golders Green ? - they were in business in Armitage Road from 1923, were there in 1934 and still there in 1959. Whether they were definitely Austin agents I can't confirm - other forum members with access to a 1930's Austin agents publication might.

It's just I have a period B&W photo found on the net showing a brand new showroom condition 1932 / 33 Austin 7 Van in Hirsts Motors livery.

If it was Hirsts Motors then there would appear to be no car related businesses on Armitage Road today, although Kingsleys Estate Agents looks as if it might have been a car showroom at one time. The business may also have occupied the site of the new red brick office development Olympia House. This area around the junction of Armitage Road with Golders Green Road would appear to be the only part of Armitage Road with any commercial development, the rest being purely residential.

***EDIT*** Further research has shown that in 1929 Kingsleys Estate Agents was Boots the Chemists, so that can be discounted, however in 1929 a fairly substantial single storey garage business with a petrol pump situated on the street existed where the new red brick Olympia House office development now stands - I suspect this may have been Hirsts Motors. A large bracketed twin sided hanging sign is attached to the front of the garage, could this have been an Austin Agent sign? Note that the building to the right and behind of the white BMW features on the 1929 image ***EDIT***

For further information on Golders Green, I suggest you contact Barnet Local Studies & Archives - link below
https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/libraries/local-studies-and-archives.html

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Hi Jeff, and thanks for the information, very good of you. S&P

S&P - hope this doesn't confuse you further, but in the Thirties the Austin agents rarely changed - why would they when they were onto a good thing with Sevens? Can't help for certain about 1936, but in late 1933 the Austin Motor Co's list of Austin agents have (amongst 90 for the entire London area !!) two
shown for Golders Green, neither of them Hertz. They were :
The Newnham Motor Co, 1 & 2 Willifield Pde, Golders Green NW11
H.A. Saunders, 17, 18, 19 The Broadwalk, Golders Green NW11
No mention of Hertz anywhere amongst those Agents listed under London area.
Perhaps the above two may be worth looking into, concerning your Ruby? Or are you sure the car was sold in Golders Green?
Good Luck with your searching. Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill, and thanks Stuart

As Bill says, there were around ninety dealers in London but only three were one hundred percentage Austin Dealers. viz: Great Northern Motors in Finchley, H.A.Saunders in Golder's Green and The Car Mart with seven premises, two in both Euston Road and Uxbridge Road and one each in Upper Montague Street, Park Lane and Lancaster Road.
I can confirm that Hirst's Motors of Golders Green were Austin dealers at this time.

Reference: Austin Dealers in the UK. Publication No: 1388

Thanks all. very helpful,interesting too read and look at the old garage photos.