Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Speedo calibration ?

The oil pressure is reading 4 psi.

Cheers, Tony.

See Chris Gould's book 'Guide to building Repoduction Ulsters'. It includes an article (written by me) which gives details of how to get the correction right. You can work it out for yourself
Vince Leek

After I straightened out the tangled hairspring in an early Ruby speedo, I checked the speed on the drum matched the speed of revolution but using a reversible drill, starting slowly and building up to 60mph. Holding it at 60 for a minute turned one mile on the odometer. Very suprised!

If the calibration is at fault by 100% the distance travelled will only be half a mile. it's a simple test, but start slowly and build up revs... or it may not be great for the speedo.

Regards
Nick

Hi,
When you change from a 3 speed to a four speed gearbox and continue to use a PA speedo the speedo reads about half the speed it did with the 3 speed. the worm drive on the out put drive has a different no of starts which causes this to happen. I would imagine swapping the worm from a four speed into your box will sort the problem.I encountered this recently when I put a 4 speed crash box into my 28 Top Hat. The speedo reads 20 mph when you are doing about 45. The bronze worms appear the same bore size.
Can anyone confirm what I found ?
Cheers Steve Hainsworth

Will look at Vinces/Chris article on calibration.I can swop the speedo on my box for this to test if its the instrument or the gear box drive ratio.

Mike Costigan
You'll notice the ignition isn't switched on

The spade key switch for the ignition has been by-passed - It's been replaced by a hidden switch under the dashboard. We were certainly running on afterburner yesterday. I have it on video too! Warp factor 9.

Seen here earlier at the top of the pass of the Cross of the Dead Woman:

The bravest animals in the land were Captain Beaky and his band.
Timid toad, reckless rat, artful owl and batty bat...

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie

Duncan - your mention of one hand off the wheel reminds me of the old gag "Oh Duncan, I do wish you'd use both hands while you're driving". "I'd love to Darling, but I need one for steering". Usual apologies. Cheers, Bill

Does anyone know what letters were on the original 100 mph speedo fitted to the ulster ? In Rinsey Mills book James Andersons ulster appears to be a PA which would be the same as an RN which is 2240 turns per mile?

Hi Austin. Bearing in mind that my speedo may be an old replica, all it shows (apart from the 0-100 calibration) is the "Smith's symbol" plus "MILES" above the 3 holes for the odometer reading. Any help? Cheers, Bill