Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Export Nippy.

Looking at the first picture and then the subsequent pictures of the plane at Bob's service station, you can see the staircases leading up to the fuselage doors, both of which look to be open indicating that the interior was accessed regularly. I would propose that the rear of the fuselage was subsequently raised and the tail wheel placed onto a steel structure in order to level the plane out and create a useable flat floor space within the fuselage, rather than a sloping floor. The overall effect would have trimmed the aircraft so that it looked like it was in level flight.

A Google image search on Bob's Airmail Service Station shows a chap attending to the tyre pressure on the nearside rear of a Model A sedan - in the background the fuselage appears to be raised at the tail - the website dates the Ford licence plate to 1938 - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/bobs-air-mail-service-station-a-man-a-plan-and-a-really-big-fokker.70880/

My 0.02 pennies worth

Cheers
Greig

Well, I've finally got some answers to the immensely puzzling photo, thanks entirely to some extremely helpful and knowledgeable aviation experts whom I've been in contact with. I now know the identity of the aircraft, the Country in which it's in, the likely State in which the photo was taken, together with two possible locations and a time frame, given the build date of the Nippy.

Sorry to have to disappoint you Robert, but the Nippy was not about to be loaded onto this by then withdrawn from service passenger airliner.

The plane is an American 1929 Fokker F.32 airliner, the first four-engined aircraft to be designed and built in the USA. Only Seven or possibly Ten (no one seems to be absolutely sure) were built at Fokker's New Jersey factory, but they only entered limited commercial service, their high cost and problems with the cooling of the after engines proved prohibitive.
Only two of the planes were actually sold to a commercial airline, namely Western Air Express operating out of Alhambra Airport in Alhambra, California and later Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, California, flying to Oakland International Airport, Oakland, California and other West Coast destinations. The two dark stripes on the upper fuselage and the 'arrow tail' logo lower down, formed parts of the from 1930 onward livery of Western Air Express.

Incredibly the two aircraft were in commercial service for no more than two years before being phased out, with the first, NC333N being cut up in 1931, therefore the plane in the photo has to be NC334N. Given the build date of the Nippy, the aircraft by this time would have been withdrawn from service and in open storage - an interesting point worth noting is that the planes tail wheel is not on the ground as it should be, but at least a metre or more up in the air, also through the windscreen of the Nippy you can just about make out what appears to be a guy wearing dark glasses standing on a step ladder just in front of the tail wheel, obviously involved in some work on the aircraft.

As to the exact location, well, I think there can be only two possible contenders A) outside Western Air Express' operating base, said to be Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, California, showing the plane being dismantled for its next move or B) the most bizarre, the plane during re-assembly and installation in its final resting place at Bob's Air Mail Service Station, Wilshire Boulevard, Cochran, Los Angeles - interestingly near to Hollywood and Paramount Pictures. Both Grand Central Air Terminal, Glendale and Alhambra Airport, Alhambra are roughly equidistant from Wilshire Boulevard, so it could have been dismantled and transported to Cochran from either airport I suppose.
The plane became a static attraction at Bob's Air Mail Service station in 1934 but was scrapped at the end of 1939. So my guess would be that the photo was taken in 1934, either at the Air Terminal, the plane being dismantled for the move to Bob's Service Station or having arrived at Bob's being re-assembled - personally I think the buildings in the background look more like the maintenance area of an airport than the surroundings of Bob's Service Station, so I'd plump for the Air Terminal.

As to who owned the car, well that's more difficult, particularly as we can't see any registration plates. I wonder if any of the original export Nippy's currently in the States have any connections to Los Angeles? Maybe the Nippy belonged to Bob Spencer himself, owner of the Service Station or someone connected to Western Air Express or even Hollywood?

Other possible owners of the Nippy may have been the pilots most closely associated with these two aircraft - Silas A. Morehouse and a very colourful larger than life character named Victor E. Bertrandias a one time racing driver, mechanic, pilot and handyman who'd spent time in England in 1928 inspecting aircraft factories - he later became Fokker Chief Test Pilot. Arthur S. Winton was the Western Air Express representative at the time.

Below - man wearing dark glasses standing on a pair of stepladders

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Excellent research. Interesting to see the Mobil Flying Red Horse added to the wings and the fuselage arrow logo. A few Mobilgas pumps on Bob's forecourt with their lovely large clockface gauges.

Unusual four engine aircraft with two puller and two pusher radial engines!

Tony.

Excellent work, Jeff.
It made me look at the original photo again and I notice that the Nippy has late type wheel centres. I would think this moves the date to late '36 on and puts the location as Bob's.
No idea if those wheel centres were fitted to export wheels earlier than they were used for the home market but I would think not.
Regards, Stuart

Jeff Taylor

I notice that in front and beyond the car are what appear to be sandbags and a tapering white flagpole rising from and below the front headlamp, which give a military base feel to the image. One final thought on the car, did home market or export Nippy's have domed headlamp lens as this car has?

Jeff.

Coming back to this, could the 'sandbags' be stacks of old tyres? The new picture at Bobs also shows some nice white lamps.

Andy

I came upon this picture of Bob's Airmail Service Service Station.
The windows in the background look identical to the one in the original Nippy picture.
There is also a similar looking lamp post.
http://miraclemilela.com/the-miracle-mile/historical-photos/bobs-air-mail-2/

Fantastic work Jeff,
thank you for all your detective work. You can clearly see the end of the arrow on the fuselage. Back to one of my original questions, were Nippy's fitted with wind deflectors or were they an aftermarket accessory?

The original Junkers photo appeared in our local VAR mag some time ago. I submitted a caption but they did not see fit to use it...

”The Fuehrer will be pleased. With this captured advanced technology, we will be sure to win”

Bob Culver

Jeff.

All we need now is someone in Los Angeles to do some research to see if Bob Spencer did own a Nippy. Unfortunately Bob's Service Station is no more, this tower block, now numbered 5455 covers the site. An old school friend of mine did until recently live and work in Los Angeles but he's since moved elsewhere in the States.

Jeff.

Fascinating stuff. And for what it's worth, the car that is almost hidden behind the fuel pumps is a 1935 Oldsmobile.

Ivan
Wellington NZ

The picture of the F32 was taken by a famous photographer of the time named F.M. Huddleston on April 17th 1930 at the dedication of the Western Air Express terminal. I have a copy of that exact photo as well as photo's taken by my great uncle the same day. Another photo I have by Huddleston show the F32 with the Goodyear blimp in the background.

I owned a left drive Nippy that was once owned but a Lockeed Aircraft in So Calif. Also another left drive chassis and LHD Opal

There were many Austin 7s in the US LHD and RHD. Including a gaggle of little racers imported to the East Coast by the Collier Brothers prewar and run several times including a race at the New York Worlds Fair.

This strand is the most interesting one for a longtime and is absolutely fascinating. Full marks to all the photographic and other researchers who contributed.

Just thinking that a Vulcan bomber would make a good canopy for a Filling Station😉

Bill G

Scottish Border

Your informative post allowed me to identify the aircraft in an old family photo I just ran across. My clue was the wing number NC334N. The caption in the album where I found this photograph said "Plane at Frisco" --- it shows an airplane parked, with a number of people standing around looking at it. The distinctive cockpit and fore-and-aft engines are visible in my photograph. I'd be happy to send you a copy if you are interested.

Paul McJones