Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Box Saloon Choke Cable

The wire (like a pushbike brake cable inner)is rigid enough to be just pushed in, assisted by the spring on the choke spindle.

Because the RN saloon 22FZB choke is hinged at the top of the intake instead of in the centre of the intake on later carburettors the choke can only be used to start the engine once it fires it must be opened otherwise the engine suction will hold it closed and choke the engine to stop. If you look on the crankcase ventilation thread of 24 February 2016 there is a photo of the under bonnet choke linkage on one of our RNs where I've used stainless welding wire. There are 2 types of swizel tree one for early cars and the other is for RNs, make sure you specify what car it is for Brian. I'll have to take some photos of the steering column end of the choke control.
There is something missing from that photo of that choke linkage leather support Bryan, it also forms a support for the oil pressure gauge pipe.

Thanks for the information Dave, this thread is an old one and I obtained the correct swivel and it works but I am missing the leather support so the choke will not stay closed unless held so.
I'd be most grateful for pictures of the steering column end of the linkage (although I've never had to use the choke to start!)
Brian

My RM has a keyhole slot for the choke wire, and the wire returns for about an inch, allowing it to drop and be held in full choke position; the engine suction does not hold it in this position!
I have no idea whether this is original, but it works well.
Rather than go out into a cold garage to take a photo, here's a rough sketch to show what I'm describing:

Mike thanks for the images that makes sense I'll have a go at your solution.

Wether original or not, that looks a good idea Mike. Does the wire come out of the bracket holding the steering column or is it a separate piece?
Brian

Sorry Brian, I drew the RK-style bracket so that the arrangement was clearer; mine goes through the steering column bracket.

Dave Mann writes:

Hi Ruairidh
Please would you post the attached photos under the above headings on the Friends forum, regards Dave Mann

photo Pict0002_zps0uty6lms.jpg

photo Pict0004_zps4lainufe.jpg

Many thanks for the pictures Dave & Ruairidh, they are very helpful. I'm just off to see if I can find any holes!
Brian

Ruairidh Dunford

photo Pict0002_zps0uty6lms.jpg

Is the armoured hose fitted with a trumpet end attached to the steering column what I think it is?

If so, who stocks them?. A genious idea. Saves getting out of the car for a pee.

Please excuse me for offering my two penny worth, but I am not sure it's a good idea to have the oil pipe pass through the leather strap/clip, what ever it's called ! Because the choke cable will eventually wear through the copper. 😖
Joe

Surely it would take at least 80 years regular use for the wire to wear through the pipe

Cheers, Tony.

well, the more you look the more you see. Sneeky David has a 4 speeder in his RN. A pipe to **** in while driving down the road and a little core plug changing hole.

Hedd you have hawks eyes to spot the 4 speed box, what you can't see is it's a Andrew Bird box saloon close ratio. That pipe is a map reading light as the RN doesn't have a dash light. However due to the scarcity of public conveniences we have a solution behind the drivers seat. When I got the car there was a very roughly cut hole there, as I suppose many Sevens had, so after tidying it up I made a cover plate.
I was shown this arrangement on a unrestored RN many years ago and the choke cable isn't in contact with the pipe, as the strap doesn't support the pipe I assume it's to stop the pipe's lateral movement.