Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Racing Seven...

I wonder if the car was built with a low crossflow radiator and suffered from overheating problems? The use of a standard Austin 7 radiator looks very much like a later modification. The extra wind resistance was probably preferable to the engine getting cooked through over-heating?

I have seen pictures of this car before, 750MC I think, but the grey matter can not recall the details at present hopefully someone else will put me out of my misery

I was thinking the same,perhaps the crossflow rad didn't cool it enough or there was no water pump.

Thanks to all for the information. I knew somebody would know!
Interestingly the Stockport number JA2103 does not seem to be registered to any vehicle in the UK or Eire.

Nick

It also seems strange for such a well developed streamlined car to have such an out of place radiator. Still the proof of the pudding...

Didn't the regs at the time require the use of a standard Austin Seven radiator?

If so I would say that displays a fine Chapmanesque disregard for the spirit of the regulations

Considering that it was racing at the same time as the FW special and the Worden, I'm not sure a crossflow radiator would be an issue, unless there were a number of classes all mixed together?

There's probably an explanation in the write up referred to by Dave... however good it is, I'm definitely not going to follow this route with the Silverstone!

Writing as one who remembers it well...the radiator in the photo was a temporary lash-up to cure overheating. As the steam reveals, it didn't work. It was at the Trio meeting at Brands Hatch. The car didn't run like that all season, though the body was, at best, scruffy.
No, you didn't have to have an Austin radiator, not ever in the 750 formula.

It's very like an open version of the Dante Gabriella, once described by the commentator at a race meeting as 'looking like it had been in an accident but nobody saw it go off the track'!

I LIKE IT.

It has a wacky racers feel to it.

Even down to the drivers sence of style.

Tony.