Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Petrol tank, almost a seasonal event...

Over the last few days I have experienced three 'failures to proceed' due to fuel not getting through to the pump. Although the inline filter is reasonably clear it if fairly obvious that whatever is in the tank, let us assume rust, is preventing the flow of fuel. The tank does not leak.

Using a foot pump I have blown it back the other way but it is not long before it blocks up again, normally following a bumpy bit of road.

So...I need to drain and clean out the tank. I've read many of the treads about this. So a couple of questions:

The car is a '32 RP so the tank is at the back. I do not think the tank is sealed, from what I can see it looks like shiny metal with a few rust spots in there.

Does the fuel pipe, which enters the tank high up, have any sort of mesh filter over it and if so is there a way of making a hole in it?

What is everyone's current favourite way of cleaning a tank? Or...shall I get someone else to do it?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Re: Petrol tank, almost a seasonal event...

One way to clean the tank is to empty the tank and allow to vent/dry

Fill the tank with some dry gravel, blast media, cat litter etc, nothing to large tho.

secure the tank inside a cement mixer, wrap it in a blanket etc, then set it to work for a while,

You will then need to flush the tank out thoroughly with parafin, thinners etc but it will leave the inside of the tank clean and ready for sealing.

Michael, I had identical problems with my RP a few years ago. The pipe into the tank passes through a strainer in the bottom of the tank ending fractionally above the drain bung.The strainer can be seen if the float unit is removed.It could be that the bung into which the pipe enters has filled with sediment. On my tank it looked as if at some time the tank had been sealed and the strainer gauze partially blocked, at times debris would stop the flow and a journey interruption occurred. I removed the tank, "destroyed" the gauze and cleaned out by putting washed 20mm gravel in and shaking vigorously by hand. An inline filter now keeps any dirt out of the carb. Hope this helps.

John Davies
secure the tank inside a cement mixer, wrap it in a blanket etc, then set it to work for a while,

I'll second that.

Tom

We had a series of posts on this very problem May-June 2012;search under "petrol tank" #6.Since I destroyed the coarse filter over the tank outlet fitted a modern in -line plastic job[easily concealed for the purists]and cleared tank out with a kit from Frosts I have had no trouble whatsoever.I did not seal the inside as at that time the possible effects on sealant of ethanol were not clear.

replacement filter to fit over the in-tank pickup pipe is easily made from an appropriate copper or brass or ali mesh.
Easily formed by hand.
Steve V.

Interesting, I didn't realise that the pick up pipe was down inside the well within the drain plug. This well was full of gunge and the pipe pressed hard against the plug because the bottom of the tank is fairly well stove in (to use a nautical term).

Anyway, petrol flows for now and when the weather is warmer I'll drop the tank and clean it properly.

I don't know wether this helps.

I have avoided this scenario by keeping the tank full of petrol in the winter and putting half a bottle of Millers "Tank Safe" in.
No Rust is the result !