Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Configuration of strong engine

Dear all,

Sorry, it's still the french man whose rebuilding an Rosengart LR2 engine.
You already helped me to choose the configuration on my engine. But I have still lot of questions about the configuration of pistons, crank, camshaft, rods

I plan to have this configuration
- Crank : David Conchrane Phoenix crank in 1"1/2
- Renault Dauphine piston ( 58 mm)
- Renault Dauphine conrods ( lengh 145 mm, tickness 26 mm )
- Inlet valve in 29 mm
- Exhaust valve in 25;4 mm

Questions :
- Renault rod is bigger than Ausin rod. Who do you fix this problem ? I suppose you ask David to machine the crank with the Renault rod size, Right ?
- Do you confirm me than crank is totally machined ? With key ?
- I'm afraid with piston in 58 mm because material in the block is very light for that. No problem ?
- Do you know if I can rework my camshaft ? With a better profil ? Any shop address for that ?
My aim is to have a better torque but with reliable engine.
- I plan to buy a special cast sump with bigger oil tank, but how adapt my oil pump ? Any idea ?
- Where I can find a ricardo or similar head cylinder ?

I plan to go to spring autojumble for that. Do you think that I can find these parts ?

I have some stock of Renault piston and rod. If someone want a set, please ask me.

Merci beaucoup,

Re: Configuration of strong engine

Alexandre I am not familiar with how the Rosengart engine differs from an Austin engine so some of what I write may be wrong.
If what you want is a strong road engine with a bit more pep then why not use the Rosengart rods on a Phoenix crank, the big end journals can be sized to suit, I assume 1 5/16" diameter. You can then use normal pistons and will not need to bore the block to +80 oversize as you would with the Renault pistons. For your cam I would strongly suggest talking with Paul Bonewell, as for the head well Dave Dye who post here can supply. What is a Rosengart head like, it may already be a decent design so a simple skim to slightly raise the CR could suffice. Do you really need to have a bigger capacity sump? If you do then just extend the oil pump pick up by brazing some 5/16" copper pipe to the existing cover.

I have two Rosengarts an Lr2 and a LR4 both 1930, the later LR4 engine differs slightly and considerably on the LR4n2. Going back to the Lr2 I have a Phoenix çrank with the appropriate metric dimensions ( Mark at Phoenix is on the ball) , I use Rosengart rods not too disimilar to the Austin equivalent but stronger according to John Kirby and Seven workshop pistons. Many parts are interchangeable but remember that all Rosengart parts have metric threads. I am now in the process of building the engine for the Lr4 in the same format

Bonjour Alexandre

I am interested in a set of Renault con rods and 58mm pistons

I am rebuilding an engine for my Type "65" with the 1&1/2" crank and my Sports rods have marks on them courtesy of an idiot previous owner who marked them 1-4 with a hacksaw........

Merci
Greig

Afrique Du Sud

So news about my configuration.

Several people said me on this forum or by email than bore block in 58mm isn't problems.

I can use phoenix crank with my Renault rod but I have to send an order to Phoenix with dimensions of the Renault rod size because the Renault is smaller than the Austin rod.

Austin rod is under the Renault rod

Austin rod at left

For the camshaft, Dave Dye proposed to me a good deal, like the head cylinder.

I am still searching a solution to find a bigger casting sump with adapted oil pump.

Wait and see.

I have still set of Renault rod if someone is interested.

I think your Renault pistons are taller,the crown height being the same.

Bonsoir Alexandre,

JE suis également en train de faire une spéciale avec un moteur LR2,John Barlow vend un carter grande capacité en alu et d'autres pièces coulées comme un collecteur pour mettre un SU, les tubulures d'eau et le cache soupape ,les dimensions sont les mèmes .

Beaucoup de pièces spéciales y compris les culasses alu se montent sur le LR2

Bonne soirée

It's ages since I built an engine with Renault rods, but as I remember it, the shorter rods but higher piston crown means the Pistons protrude from the bores by about 25 thou. You can either machine the piston crown or put a spacer under the cylinder block, but it's not a straight swap.