Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A bit more pep whilst retaining a 22fz and low comp head?

I now have special thinner head gaskets which are the right shape for low compression (and Ricardo) heads, but are the same thickness as the ones for the high compression head. See BC29r here. This should give a slight increase in power (every little helps, as they say).

David

A couple of points - Re Jim's boring the vertical part of the inlet manifold, I thought it was of not much use if the horizontal pipes are still restricted, so more recently I cut away the rear of the top bit and ground out to the same ID as the upright. After doing the same to the cut-away piece, I then welded it all together again - mods unseen. Re Bob's comment in October re the small diameter shaft not standing up to too much compression etc - when I raced an Ulster special for an Adelaide friend, his engine was just that, with an Ulster head. He was a brilliant engineer and I don't know what else he modified, but we never broke the light crank. I think I've boasted here before that in one race I beat all the blown Sevens, so please don't think it was slow. I think it silly to make such comments as Bob's, when they don't have the experience. The factory mods done when still using light shafts are legion. UK people would have seen this car first hand when in the hands of Bob Duguid it won a race at Castle Combe during the famous Aussie Raid and I doubt it was altered after I drove it. Cheers, Bill

Bill Sheehan
A couple of points - Re Jim's boring the vertical part of the inlet manifold, I thought it was of not much use if the horizontal pipes are still restricted, so more recently I cut away the rear of the top bit and ground out to the same ID as the upright. After doing the same to the cut-away piece, I then welded it all together again - mods unseen. Re Bob's comment in October re the small diameter shaft not standing up to too much compression etc - when I raced an Ulster special for an Adelaide friend, his engine was just that, with an Ulster head. He was a brilliant engineer and I don't know what else he modified, but we never broke the light crank. I think I've boasted here before that in one race I beat all the blown Sevens, so please don't think it was slow. I think it silly to make such comments as Bob's, when they don't have the experience. The factory mods done when still using light shafts are legion. UK people would have seen this car first hand when in the hands of Bob Duguid it won a race at Castle Combe during the famous Aussie Raid and I doubt it was altered after I drove it. Cheers, Bill

I raced moderns at Castle Combe for 8 years in the 90's, in their modified saloon car championship. The circuit was very much a power track until about 1998 when they installed two chicanes to make it somewhat safer (and spoilt the circuit in my opinion). My 1400 Nova used to hit 135mph twice a lap and average just over 90mph on a quick lap, before they ruined the track!

Anyway, my point is, that the Austin 7 mentioned above must have been very powerful to beat the blown cars.

Stuart.

The blown cars Bill mentioned were at Castle Coombe Stuart, also remember that with more open regulations the Aussies were well ahead of the Brits when extracting that last bit of speed during the 80's and early 90's.

Just one point Ian, although I may be corrected. From memory, Max Foster in a blown Oz Seven and Bob D in the unblown car were the only two Raid cars to compete at Castle Combe and I know Max had trouble all day with his. Maybe Tony Johns (s/c) was also there and likewise had trouble. (Haven't had time to check, not at home). Cheers, Bill