Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Flashing indicators

Has anyone fitted led flashing indicators to the RP sidelight holder in the headlamp? I think it is possible to source suitable holders and 'bulbs', but I don't know if the flasher will be sufficiently visible, especially with the headlamps lit.

Re: Flashing indicators

I doubt the flasher will be visible if the headlamps are reasonable, this is a problem modern cars suffer from where the indicator is next to the headlamp, with the headlamps on the indicator is invisible until you can see the whites of the drivers eyes.

This is a modification that I have carried out by fitting indicator bulbs to both original reflectors and ones supplied by the Seven Workshop. I was advised that the minimum wattage is 18w (although not certain of the legality of this) but I had trouble sourcing both the amber bulbs in 6v and the appropriate holder.
Frankly I was unhappy with the outcome - the indicators were barely visible with the headlamps on even with a 24watt headlamp bulb. Also the amber bulbs looked out of place with the lamps turned off and I concluded that the better option were separate indicator lamps.
Regards
Stuart

Google Classic dynamo and regulator conversions you will see everything there about flashing indicators,might be useful to you.Ted

I fitted flashing sidelights to my RN. Saloon back in 1996

Thanks for your replies. Classic Dynamo suggest an additional bulb holder should be fixed in the headlamp reflector. I'm not keen on this so will fit additional lamps with amber flashing led bulbs.

I added flashing indicator lights inside the headlamps on my Fiat Topolino. I'll prevail yet again on Ruairidh to put up the photo for me.
Apart from the 18w festoon bulbs and couple of bolts and nuts, everything in these flashers was made from junk. An old roadside reflector provided the lenses, the curved masking pieces were John West salmon tins, the insulated post for one end of the bulb is turned from a piece of 5/16" brass cut from an old toilet cistern float arm, and the earth connection is just a bit of bent copper sheet.
There are only 2 small holes in the reflector, and to restore to original would require just a bit of solder and maybe re-plating.
The "inspiration" came from a modern Mercedes Benz. Because the flasher bulb is masked from the headlamp bulb, the flasher is easily seen, and the Warrant of fitness authorities are quite happy with it.
So far, no one has said that it is ugly, and anyway it works fine.

Ivan

Ivan's photo:

photo DSCF0009-2_zpszhrmksw8.jpg

Ivan, that's a far neater solution than mine. Where might I be able to source amber festoon bulbs?
Regards
Stuart

LED festoon and flashing LED festoon bulbs here:-

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/festoon-bulbs.php

Thanks R.
I did not use amber festoon bulbs, just plain 18w ones. The amber lens is sufficient. The Fiat is 12 volts of course - you may need 6 volts

Ivan

Just a thought...we are so used to self cancelling indicators these days that it is worth considering wiring in a little buzzer that can be heard above all the whining and grinding. Motorcycle ones come in 6c and 12v and make quite a racket. Wrap them up in something to take the edge off their beeping.