Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Switch panel

Tony Betts can supply a new main brass track.

David

Thanks for the advice. The assembly came apart without problem & all the parts were intact! I now understand why it feels as if there are more than three positions. As you move from one point to another the dimple briefly is in contact with both terminals, it then makes positive contact with the target point.
Now to wire it all back together.
One further question....when the car was rewired in the 80's all the wires he used, except for starter leads, are 28.030 (28 strands each 0.03mm thick)This appears to be rated at 16amp. Is the considered opinion that this is enough? The wire from the battery to the B terminal on the ammeter concerns me as also does the dynamo output cables. I know that there is not much, but....?
David

Just to (maybe) put your mind at rest, David. In it's original specification the car's entire electrical load, excluding that of the starter motor, would not have exceeded 16 Amps. The maximum safe output from the dynamo was approx. 8 Amps.

Ian Mc.

That was encouraging!
Well it is all back together, wires connected & the lights work 100% correctly!
I have converted back to negative earth & need to get a new positive terminal over the weekend, then wheels back on & see if the dynamo still charges (& the ammeter reads the right way round!)
David