Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin 7 used in "All creatures great and small"

Hi

The late cowled rad tourer AJO 7, which is grey, was used at the begining of the first BBC TV series for a while - this is the one that is/was suffering at the museum in Thirsk.

The books talk about an 'ancient Austin Seven saloon' as the first car given to JH, but do not seem to specify further what it was - even floor boards are mentioned at one point so the detail is a bit fuzzy!

As above, the original film featured the Chummy UX 187, which I presume hasn't survived? Or has it lost its number?

Regards
Colin

Dermot Murray

He also stated the car is on its original registration but he is thinking of selling that separately.
I've tried to reason with him that splitting the car and registration is wrong but he can only see it as an opportunity to make more money.
Sadly it looks as though the registration will end up on retention for ever more instead of being on the correct vehicle.

Try referring him to the sad case of the pre-war Morris Minor that was featured extensively in the film 'Ladies in Lavender'; the owner misguidedly sold the registration number before selling the car, only to gross an amount significantly lower than an earlier offer!

Colin,

Luckily the registration UX 187 is shown on mycarcheck as still attached to an Austin Tourer first registered 29.03.1927 colour maroon although it doesn't feature on the A7CA chassis register. The DVLA database has it on SORN at the moment - so it's obviously been taxed at some point in the last 19 years.

The UX prefix was first issued by Shropshire in March 1927.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Thanks - that's good to know - even though it looked a little worse for wear in the film, it would be a shame for the car to have made it to the 1970s only to vanish from history, Colin

Thought you all might like to see this!

Looks great - was there a fashion for brass radiators at one time, or was it by default?
Colin

When the plating or paint wore off (depending on age of car) some chose to paint or just polish the rad' shell.
Remember also, there was a time when these cars were just considered as semi disposable 'bangers' or starter cars for those of modest means.
For some it was not thought either financially viable or sensible to lavish too much on the car and may have been cheaper to just go and buy another - it was ever thus and the reason why at one time you could sometimes find one lying forlorn in a hedge!.
Those with more money would buy a better condition one for just a bit more or buy something newer.
Steve V.

Dermot, thanks for your explanation of the 16th, I am less bemused in consequence. I think I had better wish you luck again, though, I suspect your path will not be easy. Well done for trying!
Regards,
Stuart

Changing the thread slightly has anyone seen the episode of the Avengers with the glammed up box saloon,what was amusing was the amount of "luggage" that the porter brought into the hotel that had been packed into the car!

And another....
The Goodies circa 1974 had a race on a race track. There was an AH tourer on the grid that stalled and was 'hit' when the field lapped the tourer...who remembers the car? I think it was either light blue or grey...

Well it seems the "starring role" played by the Austin 7 was in fact a background vehicle in the 1975 movie of the same name.
So far from being a movie car it appears it was simply placed in the background.
It makes me laugh that people attempt to flower up a sale.

For those interested in Austin 7's which have appeared on the telly there is one coming up for auction on 8th March with Brightwells. It is a late '29 tourer registered YC 8194 and it was in a series called "Sam" from 1973 to '75. Sam was played by the late Mark McManus of Taggart fame and the programme was set in Yorkshire pre WW2. I have a cutting from the Radio Times from when I used to collect such things which pictures the car. The auction catalogue makes no mention of the telly stardom and the car is not on the A7CA chassis register.