Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brake linings

Erich Volkstorf
Thank you, Ian. I'm wondering if A7 will shape the linings. The local racing brake shop will put on thicker linings, shape them to each drum so contact across the drum is even.

Best,

Erich

The simple answer, Erich, is NO.

Ian Mc.

The Austin brake shoes don't self align. This makes it difficult to shape them when not fitted to the pivot and cam.
Bedding them in on the car isn't difficult and the soft linings will bed in quickly anyway.

This is a tool I have to help with this (from another thread):

Ruairidh Dunford
Charles P
The single best improvement that I've made is to make sure that the shoe area is fully contacting the drum.

This tool helps to attain this, I have shared it before, Beck design and Goodfellow construction:

photo DSC_0227_zpss3qb94kr.jpg

photo DSC_0225_zpsqg5xnp60.jpg

photo DSC_0224_zpsydhejhvi.jpg

Similar to the tool needed to set up the back brakes of the Citroen 2CV. Another car designed in the same spirit as the Seven.

Thank you all. Ruairidh, I searched for dimensions/design of this tool on the site to no avail. Where can I get the tool or the design dimensions?

Erich

It is made from an old brake drum Erich, the slide/guide and locking pin could be made from anything you want.

If you don't have a an old/spare drum, use one you have on the car as a guide to make one from plate.