Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering - how to remove control bracket tube?

I am building an Ulster rep on a 1930 chassis and currently trying to remove the control bracket tube from the steering box as I have a new lower angle box to fit everything into.

The problem is that when I put the steering box in a vice and turn the large control bracket tube nut, the control bracket tube turns as well, and I can't get any purchase on the tube to stop this without being likely to damage it. Have tried wd40, heat etc to no avail.

I don't really want to destroy the original steering box to get this out. Has anyone done this, or has other ideas how to?

Ref Fig GI-5 in the Doug Woodrow Austin 7 manual.

Thanks!

Ed

Re: Steering - how to remove control bracket tube?

Edward, slide the worm shaft complete with keyed top washer over the control tube,screw in the outer column and do up tight with a 'C' spanner this should allow the big nut to be undone. Cheers Ian M

Thanks for quick response, we'll try tomorrow!

Thanks Ian, yes all worked fine yesterday, it took some effort to screw the main steering tube in far ennough but then it was easy to unscrew the nut.

Cheers, Ed

Well done Edward, before you put it back together have a close (very close) look at the worm and make sure it is tight on the shaft by twisting and pulling up and down.
The worm is attached to the shaft when manufactured by bending up the tags you can see when looking at the end arranged in a 'star' shape, make sure all are tight and have no sign of cracking.
There have been failures in the recent past. Cheers Ian M