Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cylinder bores

2.200" converts to 55.88mm

56mm converts to 2.2045" only 0.0045" ( 41/2 thou.) oversize from standard.

Ian Mc.

Tony betts
Hi hedd,

Thought you sed you used a honing tool.

A 3 finger deglaze bar from machine mart is not a honing tool.

It would take weeks to take out 3 thou,

Tony.

Call it what you like. It was a 3 finger tool. But a commercial vehicle one, not a car one.

It took a bit of time. But nothing like the time you suggest. Done in situ with a large electric drill drive, but operated by a man.

I had always understood it to be 2.2 bore. 3 inch stroke.

This works out to be 747.48CC assuming pie to be 3.1415.

If you do it with 56mm and 76mm you get 748.73CC

That seems to confirm the imperial dimensions.

Martin,It seems a lot of interest in your project and although I agree with some of the opinions as to "doing it correctly" I understand your initial request for an economic rebuild option. There is obviously some confusion as to the measurements of both bore and piston diameters and their compatibility,there is really only one definitive answer and that is to get both measures professionally. I just googled Precision engineers in your locality and there would seem to be quite a selection. I'm sure one or two would measure the dimensions for you at a reasonable cost. Camcraft in Bishops Frome may be a good start. Once you have good compression, do you have a crank and rods good enough to take the load? Trouble is when the ball starts rolling nobody can say where it will stop. Best of luck.

Thanks Peter.

I think that the excitement caused by bores and pistons is enough for one decade!

The full horror of what I'm doing with crank and conrods will remain a secret between me and my engineer's blue!