Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RP gearbox cover

Having bought my first RP in 1959, I believe the trim was original. I subsequently had a few more. One was a totally original standard car (non de-luxe complete with smokers hatch). None had a cover over the gearbox. However the pictures do suggest that some cars did have a cover. I wonder whether it appeared for a short period only.

This is the illustration in Jack's link; it would appear to show the gearbox cover as an integral part of the propshaft cover.

Presumably that would make it quite difficult to fit, so perhaps they were quickly trimmed into two pieces, and then no doubt the gearbox cover would soon be left off altogether!

I made what I thought was a gearbox cover using some spare bits of that sound insulation material used for boats. Approx 1" thick, silver on one side with a heavy sheet of something sandwiched between two layers of foam.

Result?

1) it looked awful
2) it reduced the amount of space in which one could rest one's left foot
3) it didn't make a huge amount of difference.

Threw it away. I have found however that an old pair of oily overalls draped around the area has just as good an effect.