Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Late Ruby overtaking mirror fixing

Nigel Ruairidh,
Not too difficult to copy, have done it on a late Ruby but also on the near side of my Opal. I turned a brass replica of the lump on the Opal then fettled it with a rasp to take up some of the curvature in the steel hinge. I then drilled two holes to take a 4 mm c/ sunk set. Screws , screwed from the inside of the hinge to hold it in place, I finally Silver soldered it. Made up the clamping device and sprayed the whole lot to match the car colour. Only those in the know would know.

Thanks R , that explains it all , as the mirror and cylinder head were the only things missing from the car when I got it I was unsure of the fixing , no doubt Willie supplies the barrel bolt with the mirror . I believe the hinge on mine is original ,as you know mine is a very late (50th from last 7 produced )so presume the last ones had this fixing as my car had been off the road since 1960 and has only covered 32 thousand miles. The hinge in your photos are the same as my top hinge.

Nothing would surprise me as regards to your car having one fitted originally - perhaps I should have said "to the best of my knowledge"!

Derek has sent me a picture to post for you as well - will post it later.

Derek's photo for you:

photo 26FB61B5-3D94-4985-B833-8BB4ED188E83_zps96ymj3zf.jpg

Thanks again

Not wanting to rob Willie of a sale but the unit shown was from Paul Beck vintage supplies, just chucked the mounting and made a small adaption to the pull bolt.

Just a very slight point of detail. I have always lusted after the door hinge as described for a side mirror. I have a couple of clamp type mirrors on the hinges currently. This is on a MkII Pearl. Oddly, I have never seen the hinge with a boss for a mirror on a late Pearl - early, yes, but never on a MkII. I wonder whether this was a specific design change or just coincidence. If anyone has such a hinge spare, I'd be really interested in the possibility of acquiring it..

Hugh

Me too!

Thanks for the suggestion Derek , but looked at Paul Becks site (very similar to 7 workshop one ) but could not see any of the type I wanted listed , collected one from Willie this afternoon , but as the barrel was for his own design fixing it was a bit oversize for my hinge fitment , 2 minutes on the Myford and it fitted a treat.

Glad that you got it sorted