Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Austin 7 engine in bike frame

At the Golden Jubilee Rally .Longbridge 1972 there was an Irish entrant with an Austin Seven engine and radiator mounted "successfully "in a push bike frame.
It looked remarkably unstable to me.

James, there were very few English motorcycles that employed shaft drive. George Brough built 10 with Austin Seven motors, called the BS4, and he also built, I believe only in prototype form a "Dream" which was an opposed air cooled four. Wooler and Sunbeam both built shaft drive bikes, but as far as I know they were post war. Possibly, the frame he used could have been a BMW or Zundapp, as those German firms were always shaft drive. The BS4 was actually a three wheeled motorcycle wight eh rear wheels quite close together and the bevel drive located between the two.

Brough Superior with two rear wheels.

photo image_zpsfjdoanj0.jpeg

photo image_zpso3quc1xo.jpeg

Thanks, I meant to say it was a motor cycle frame.

Thanks for reply. It must have been shaft drive rear wheel , not certain , would it have been a BMW .I think the frame may have been a Rudge, not certain. I remember Dad had to reduce the radiator size to make it fit and this caused boiling on long runs.

James:- "caused boiling on long runs" - with your Dad or the engine? Cheers, Bill