Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chummy Steering

In the straight ahead driving position, my Chummy steering wheel is offset about 10 degrees left hand down. It annoys the hell out of me. With any of the other cars I'd just reposition the steering wheel on the spline, but it's a pinch bolt wheel so I don't have that option. I can't see anything obviously bent. So I can't decide: put up with it; or rotate the gear wheel a tooth; or what?

Re: Chummy Steering

I imagine you have steering boxes etc., lying around, Alan, so you can count the teeth on a gear. It might be interesting to see what sort of movement at the drop arm sets the steering wheel straight then you can probably calculate if moving the gear a tooth would do what you want. All this in aid of not kneeling down!

Would it be easier to just shorten the drag link? (Which emoticon indicates only just joking?)

Regards,
Stuart

Alan,

I have misplaced your number - give me a call on 01419428037.

I've just been out in the RN, the steering wheel is offset to the left about 10 degrees.First time I've noticed it! Probably because the car doesn't steer in a straight line! Too busy dodging the potholes.

Yes, but I'm an automobile engineer. I notices these things.

I'm a mechanic and only notice pub signs.

Alan - if you have enough adjustment I would suggest altering the track rod ends (both sides) to achieve your ambition.
Nick

Alan
Yes, but I'm an automobile engineer. I notices these things.

I tend to notice these things too, Alan but, I just put a couple of turns of brightly coloured PVC tape (or in Shropshire bright red cow's tail tape) round the top rim of the wheel in the straight ahead position and ignore where the spokes are !!

Ian Mc.

I have to admit it would probably irritate me some, but I have to say I don't drive by looking at the steering wheel spokes

If you never have to have a quick look at where the steering wheel spokes are, you are driving way off the limit

Problem sorted. Combination of optimising the play in the clamp bolt and Nick's little trick with the track rod ends.
Thanks guys.
A