Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
£30 000 Special

I guess with 55 people watching this one, several of us know about it. Am I missing something? I can't see how this car can justify such an asking price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-special-/322430778481?hash=item4b125f3c71:g:C4cAAOSwWxNYrINQ

Bill

Re: £30 000 Special

Oh dear, DVLA have it as Untaxed in a Red Box and therefore not SORN'd, tax was due on 26th February 2015! Another case of someone assuming that because the road tax is free, you don't need to apply to have it taxed ?

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

It only becomes a £30.000 Special as and when some idiot pays that much for it!

I don't quite see it as a "true British heritage car" given that it is a special.

There's a hint in the registration number:- "BPF" Buyer Pays Fortune!
Dave.

If I was going to spend that sort of money on a special, I'd sooner go for this Rosengart!

http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad217549.html

There are six cars on eBay at the moment from upwards of 12k, all clean decent cars and some get relisted with a slight drop in price, I know price is subjective and I know my old car is worth probably what I paid for it 2 yrs ago (5k 32 box in ok condition now in bit better condition) ,the black chummy is a lovely little thing but is it worth 15k as I don't believe people who would like a seven have that kind of spare money to buy one, if the price was a bit more realistic it would sell,I had 5k spare so I could afford it ,I didn't have upwards of that to spend on my hobby.my car is a long term hobby which doesn't bother me if it makes money or not in the time I have it ,it gives me something to tinker with,anyone paying a lot of money for one then in a couple of years wanting to sell it for what they paid for it or at a profit might be stuck with it am I missing something ?
Cheers Cliff

Bill James
I guess with 55 people watching this one, several of us know about it. Am I missing something? I can't see how this car can justify such an asking price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-special-/322430778481?hash=item4b125f3c71:g:C4cAAOSwWxNYrINQ

Bill

Doesn't look anything (ahem!) special....

Steve

About 5k seems reasonable.

Jeff Taylor
Oh dear, DVLA have it as Untaxed in a Red Box and therefore not SORN'd, tax was due on 26th February 2015! Another case of someone assuming that because the road tax is free, you don't need to apply to have it taxed ?

Jeff.

Jeff where did you check the DVLA info as the three reg checkers I have checked all have it as Green Make Austin and Model Austin. It's not for me just interested that you got different info, unless he as up dated recently.

DVLA get muddled about makes. My car isn't found with make Austin and model Seven. It is recorded as make Austin 7 and the model field blank.

DVLA Vehicle check Doug.

Hi Douglas,

Just the usual DVLA 'Vehicle Enquiry Service' which shows it to be a May 1934 Austin, Green in colour, Untaxed in a Red Box (and therefore not SORN'd as it should be!), Tax due: 26 February 2015. Mycarcheck additionally shows the body to be a Tourer (presumably that's what it will state on the V5c) colour Green, Black.

It is on the A7CA Chassis Register - 750 Motor Club member and A7 Special Register.

Just key in the registration number and AUSTIN.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Jeff My mistake miss read "Red Box" as could red and model box!

Mike Costigan
If I was going to spend that sort of money on a special, I'd sooner go for this Rosengart!

http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/ad217549.html

Does anyone know anything about this Rosengart it's a fabulous looking special, but I need a photo with someone standing next to it to get the scale!

If you go to the flicker site photos there is a square-on side view. You could get an idea of the dimensions by scaling from the size of the wheels?
I have to say that it floats my boat very nicely!

I've got a Montgomery special and It didnt cost me a third of the price of that one on Ebay and it looks very similar, don't hear much about Montgomery's on here! anyone else got one!

Duncan grimmond
If you go to the flicker site photos there is a square-on side view. You could get an idea of the dimensions by scaling from the size of the wheels?
I have to say that it floats my boat very nicely!

Thanks Duncan, I gave that a go and the reason this looks so un-Austin 7 is the wheelbase at about 7' 6". So there may be more room for legs etc.

Mark,
The Rosengart is an LR4 model, which means it's the first step away from the pure Austin Seven. As you have identified, it has a significantly longer chassis, and it also has semi-elliptical rear springs. I think it would make a super car subject to cockpit dimensions, but at the asking price I can't help feeling the money would be better spent on an authentic Amilcar.

Geoff
I've got a Montgomery special and It didnt cost me a third of the price of that one on Ebay and it looks very similar, don't hear much about Montgomery's on here! anyone else got one!

Geoff I think your special might be a Super Accessories car, as Les Montgomery was the proprietor, I had one back in the seventies....my first sports car!

Yes Ivor your right it is a super accessories my mistake, you said you had one back in the seventies, the reg did'nt begin with DH by any chance did it!

Mike Costigan
Mark,
The Rosengart is an LR4 model, which means it's the first step away from the pure Austin Seven. As you have identified, it has a significantly longer chassis, and it also has semi-elliptical rear springs. I think it would make a super car subject to cockpit dimensions, but at the asking price I can't help feeling the money would be better spent on an authentic Amilcar.

Mike,
You are right although the only Amilcar to compare with this for looks would be a CGSS and they are a whole lot more money. That said I would buy the Rosengart if I didn't have to add another 10,000 euro for freight and GST (VAT).

Just to show I am a bit obsessed with this car here is another picture: