Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bargain Chummy?

hi mike,

i never buy or date a car from the age of the body.

as far as im aware a cars date is given to the chassis.

from what can be seen is the damper arm mounts on the rear of the chassis are no earlier than 1928.

only my guess, it doesnt count for much. but the base car is likely to be 1928.

but being such a bitza, and the rear axle, wheels etc being later. the base car could even be 1931.

I wonder why the carburettor is on backwards on the 1923/1925 car ?

Richard Gunn
It is advertised for £4000 in Car and Classic. No bargain

Maybe, but there does not seem to be a 'Reserve' on the eBay listing. Still be interesting to see what it reaches.

I see what you mean, Tony. I agree, the chassis rear extensions and shock absorber brackets indicate a late 1920s / early 1930s frame

Thanks Mike,

I may upset a few people, and say it's a car that could do with being broken up.

There are some nice rear bits on the car, although needing work. that could improve better example cars.

Although I won't be the one braking it, as I think it will go to hi on the price.

But if someone brakes it, I could do with the hood frame for another car.

As for restoring it, there is so much that needs replaceing, even the chassis looks to have broken it's back on the drivers side.

You might as well start from scratch building a bitza from good parts.

I can see it being another perchase for someone without viewing first. Followed with ALOT of regret latter.

A bit like the ski running board ( not so special ) car.

Tony.

Tony betts

I may upset a few people, and say it's a car that could do with being broken up.

There are some nice rear bits on the car, although needing work. that could improve better example cars.

I agree: I can't see a great deal of value in the mechanical bits - it's all in such poor condition and seems to be a mixture of mag and coil bits. Significantly there's no photo of the engine either. Ideally it will go to someone who already has a decent set of 1925 mechanical components, and probably the only usable bits are then the fixtures and fittings to go onto a complete new body! Otherwise you might just as well start from scratch with any random collection of bits ...

from Christopher Oliver Austin 7 Motor Cars

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C841740

Barn find rolling chassis with 5 scripted wheels, steering column,sound body with woodwork,doors fit well with locks. It has a bonnet & part of a chassis no No V5

If you want to create a barn find do it properly, he is making it up as he goes along,

A freshly minted 'barn find' no less. The scattering of straw in the newly restored tub is a nice touch!

that straw looks later than 1926, certainly...