Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pearl Hood Irons

Hi Stuart,

the ones on my car were plated some 30 years ago and were not taken apart to do so.

Hi Stuart.

Who do you use for your plating? The firm that I went to last did a great job, but is no longer in business.

Thanks,

Martin.

Thanks for the replies Ruairidh and Martin. The plater is old school and will not plate anything that is 'assembled' hence the need to disassemble. Martin, I have been given the details of a plater in the Worcs/Herefordshire area - when I find them I will pass them on.
Because of time considerations I had to grasp the nettle and drill out the hinge pin from the hood irons. It turned out to be a large mild steel mushroom headed rivet which had been carefully dressed over and plated hence no visible clues as to its construction.
Yesterday was spent on the lathe turning up a brass replacement that can be screwed together after plating. The downside was that the lathe developed a 'knock'- just like a big end on its way out so something else to repair.
Regards
Stuart