Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Induction heat tool...

What a hoot, I love it!

Simon Jansen
You need something to supply up to 10 amps at 12 volts.

One source of a very cheap 12volt supply is the "power brick" from an Xbox 360.
(Google "images" for XBOX 360 PSU) Can be found in charity shop rummage boxes ..I have several and never paid more than £4.There are plenty on eBay as well. There are several power ratings (it says on the net) but all the ones I've found are marked 12 volt 16.5 amp, 203 watts. The DC output can be turned on and off with a low current switch on a control wire..There is an "instructable" on the net.

Ruairidh Dunford
The induction heat tool arrived yesterday (after a bit of argie-bargie because the first one did not turn up!)

I bought an American designed and made "Mini Ductor 2". Thanks for everyone's input on this and Ian M, you can borrow it any time my friend!!

Hi Ruairidh,
could I ask for a specific internet 'link' to the one you purchased please?
I have a pending job to replace the manifold studs on my 12 and I will probably replace all studs when I rebuild my 7 engine.

Thanks in anticipation,
Steve V.

Hi Steve,

the specific listing does not exist any more - this may be something to do with the difficulties I encountered getting it from them.

If you give me a call on 01419428037 I will explain what happened in my instance.

This link to an induction unit on Amazon has a short video at the bottom of the click to expand thumbnails, quoting some heating times, what recommended size and number of turns per coil unit and how much clearance to be allowed around heated item.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-5834-Plug-Heat-Inductor/dp/B00J06O3ZI/ref=pd_sbs_60_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EPEA5GC5NBD6XPCP3WCM

Steve V.

Thanks Steve!

Very instructive pictures Ruairidh. I am sure I wouldn't be the only person interested in seeing similar images showing how you get the broken studs out, when heating doesn't work. (Sorry to hijack!)

Hi Richard,

I use an old cylinder head bolted down to one or two existing studs as a guide.

I have an insert which fits inside the the holes of the cylinder head that provides a straight and central guide for a pilot hole drill bit.

Once that is drilled I insert a second, larger holed, guide for use with a larger drill bit.

Once drilled out to the second size I can drill and tap for a helical insert. I will post some pictures later.

Many thanks Ruairidh. So it isn't usually possible to drill and re-tap to the original thread size?

You can do this but I prefer not to as there is a danger you will catch the tap in the remains of the old stud and snap it. Removing broken taps is a real ball-ache!!

Hello Richard
I have always used the welding method to remove stuck studs.
Place a larger nut over the stud hard up against the surface and weld with very hot TIG. The combined effect of localized heat and weld shrinkage works every time.
With care it is possible to build up metal on a stud that has snapped off flush or recessed and then weld on the nut as above.
Even works with broken taps!
Adrian.

Hi Adrian,
How much skill is required - are you a professional?
-my worry would be that I'd end up welding the broken stud/tap into the block
especialy if broken off flush or below face.
Steve V.

Yes Stephen, I'm afraid some skill is required. Tig is more controllable than other forms of welding and with practice you can prevent the arc crossing onto the adjoining metal.
Adrian.

Ahh!
I can stick weld and mig weld but had no dealings with Tig so removing a sheared stud as a first experience of Tig sounds something not to try.

Steve V.

Photos, as promised earlier...

photo 1FC8C461-E10E-4E1F-A9DB-9502C9344173_zpsispp4qhu.jpg

photo 1015E4B8-FAFE-4774-BE08-21F556583770_zpsccbgqs54.jpg

photo 81239589-6AD7-4233-A3E8-08B95EB52BB0_zpslabqyvr8.jpg

photo CC182CE8-9867-43EB-AC5E-2CEFEB7CC590_zpsqqzpgpz9.jpg

Interesting to hear about the Tig technique

Hi Ruairidh
What price did you manage to find your Mini-D for? How many coils came with it?
Have seen Laser 5834 on Amazon at £426 delivered with 2 coils + a long string which can be wound round such things as steering arms to form a coil where you would otherwise not get a coil over two fixed ends.

I will have to bend a short gear leaver soon as well and previously only managed to bend it a bit after using rather a lot of OXY Acetylene to heat it.........bit expensive the gas ....and now with modern resupply problems....well!

It was £355 Dennis.

p.s. We are heading your way this summer, time to emigrate!

Thanks for the photo's of your drilling inserts - that is a tip I will use in the future.

I bit the bullet and purchased an induction tool on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222055645420
SUPPLIED WITH:
2 X COILS 30mm Diameter.
2 X COILS 40mm Diameter.
2 X COILS 50mm Diameter.
2 X COIL WIRE 750mm Long.
1 X OPERATING MANUAL.
1 X CARRY CASE
6 Months Warranty.

The price is now fixed as per the narrative even though there is a make an offer button.
More than I was hoping to pay but still cheaper than some others, also the supplier is only about 45 minutes drive away should it give trouble.

I'm hoping it will save a lot of pulling out of hair over time....
Pending jobs include replacing manifold studs on my '35 12 Ascot and engine rebuild for my Ulster special.

Starting on my Ulster has been on hold because of cold feet, due to the shennanigans at Swansea but I think it's time to bite the bullet and make a start regardless.

Steve V.

What is the 'coil wire' made of please?
That coil wire would help loosening exhaust pipe joints that have rusted up.

Geoff - Day off.

Stephen Voller
Thanks for the photo's of your drilling inserts - that is a tip I will use in the future.

Me too. Highly appreciated Ruairidh.

Adrian Payne
Yes Stephen, I'm afraid some skill is required. Tig is more controllable than other forms of welding and with practice you can prevent the arc crossing onto the adjoining metal.
Adrian.

I had a tip from a professional doing some of the more cleaver body repairs on my Nippy ......to weld up small (bolt) holes in sheet metal put a backing piece of copper against the sheet and MIG welding will be more possible without burning more hole and having big blobs both sides. Worked a treat for me......now should have less draughty feet!!
I just wonder if a similar process could be applied to studs broken below surface i.e. use a tube of copper pushed down the hole then MIG down the middle.??....obviously only a very short tube of copper.

Dennis

Bingo ......I got one too from ebay. Mini Ductor II+. Model MD800P also with a boxed coil kit MD99-650.
Mini Ductor II+ has in box the heat pad, bearing buddy (long cord to wrap around where you can't put coil over an end....eg steering arm, exhaust pipe joint etc. It is not clear if it also has a coil. Coil Kit in separate box has 8 coils 1 3/4" to 3/4 short and 3/4 long All for £367 including postage!!....have seen this lot at £690 on other sales!
Just waiting delivery now and getting out rusty bits from the spares pile....exciting.
This looks to be the newer model as it says with new integrated CE filter (whatever that is).

There seems to be another one available from same source ebay.
MINI DUCTOR II+ MD800P INDUCTION TOOL WITH MIXED COIL KIT HEAT PAD & BEARING BUD
item number 232261469522. Don't all rush and outbid each other!!

See what you have started Ruairidh!

That is the same type and kit I bought for the same price (just about).