Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BSF and BSW Nutserts/Rivnuts...

Genuine Rivnuts are still made by BF Goodrich in the USA & until the mid 90's by Linread in the UK. There are many copies around. originally they were Flange & Csk headed. Avdel introduced the Thinsheet Nutsert (which has a very small csk head & falls through the hole unless it accurately punched/drilled, but works in thin sheet material(!)& gives an almost flush finish without countersinking)These have been widely copied & are made by every far eastern man & their dogs with quality from awful to excellent. Mostly available Metric in Europe & UNC/UNF in the USA.
Look for them as "Rivet Nuts, Blind sheet nuts, Thin sheet blind inserts ....lots of variants. Thin sheet inserts have very thin walls & can be installed relatively easily with hand plier type tools. Rivnuts are much more heavy duty & are hard work to pull up by hand. They can be put in with a cap screw and a couple of nuts & a washer to "jack the thread up. In the 60's Landrover winches were held to the chassis as a kit using Aluminium 3/8 UNC Rivnuts and an illustration of how to do it with this method! More tricky with smaller diameters.
In the 70's Linread made over half a million aluminium Rivnuts a week! UNC/UNF/BSF/BA & even lots of Metric for Johnny Foreigner!

As a quick follow up Laser (who do induction heater kits!) also do Rivet nut kits, you should be safe with their eastern quality. Rivet Nut Co.uk may be worth a try as well

Thanks again guys.

I have various sizes of Nutserts, including the tooling, which I have been using successfully for a while now.

I have been searching unsuccessfully for bsf ones and decided to ask here. I will try tapping the 6mm ones as suggested, I appreciate you all sharing your experience.

Some years ago the power ststions here were using British generators & electrical equipment which used all BSF nuts & bolts.
Somewhere in UK is probably a lot of scrap generators etc. could be worth trying to track down.