Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: First drive!

Great post David - sounds like you have had a lovely day!

On cars such as the Seven, where need to use every rev but do not wish to overdo things, It is useful to decide an acceptable sustained top speed, and from the gear ratios determine the equivalent in the gears. In their heyday in the hands of most mature owners, few Sevens would exceed or even regularly attain 45 mph. The 3 speed cars are higher geared than later, so 50 mph equivalent is still quite conservative; 28 and 16 mph.

Diminished hearing can be helpful; on long trips my car was good for an extra 500rpm with earplugs. But it is important not to apply more advance than necessary.

An exciting moment

David, my RM is a little younger than your RK, but mechanically I think it's identical. I assume from your description that you have ball-change gear-lever; yes, it's a bit sloppy, but you soon get used to putting it in the right place!

Like you, I find 40-45mph is a comfortable maximum running speed, although if you hang on 50mph should be attainable on the level without too strong a tail wind! Under normal circumstances I will change up at around 15mph and 30mph, but on an incline I am prepared to rev it up to 35mph to get enough speed to engage top at 30mph. (My speedo is so inaccurate that I use a gps speedo, so these are pretty accurate speeds I'm quoting).