Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: dead A7 photos - ID

Well done finding those Mike.

Mmm. Not sure I'd like to own the photos though. They look a lot like the sort that the police/ coroner would have referred to... more to do with the diver's demise than the vehicle's?

I didnt see any body or blood?

must have been fine - didnt actually get to the spikes, and the air bag didnt even go off.

I agree - they are not professional photos. Anyway, consequencies aside, they would be useful photos for someone wanting to build an accurate replica - but not at £55!

reg appears to be GAB 813 or GXB 813 from a decent screen of the front plate lying on the ground - anyone see better?

I think from the rear number plate it is two letters and four numbers - which would be right for a 1930 car; perhaps GA 8813?

edit: looking at the Association Register, there are no GA-registered Sevens, but plenty of GXs - but they are mostly from 1932, so I would favour GA!

double edit! it could be G 5813 with a dash after the G; and there are some early G numbers in the Register from 1927/28, so a late number could be 1929/30 ...

I didnt read your last bit and I latterly concluded G 5813 too... with the dash present!

but that makes an odd back plate, as its a stacked, square plate - would look a bit odd with single character and 4 below.

How are others spaced in such circs?

JonE

...but that makes an odd back plate, as its a stacked, square plate - would look a bit odd with single character and 4 below.

How are others spaced in such circs?

That is how it should be done: letters on one line, numbers below.

I would agree, having blown it up as far as I can it's almost certainly 5813 but the letter or letters are too distorted to be absolutely sure whether they're a 'C' or 'G', though I think 'G' more likely.

Glass's guide would seem to suggest that 'G', 'GA' and 'GB' all Glasgow issued registrations were all used up by January 1929. GX was a London registration first issued in March 1932.
'C' and 'CX' are Yorkshire and Huddersfield respectively, but again appear in Glass's to predate January 1929 and therefore aren't listed.

Final thought, it could be 'GF' a London registration first issued March 1930.

Does anyone recognise the large building and tower in the background, looks to me as if it might be a prison? - that may or may not help in guessing the letters, if indeed the car was locally registered to the accident. I've done a Google image search, but without success.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England