Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RK saloon door latches

photo P1020652.jpg
Any use ?

I think Willie does them Tony.

Many thanks for the pic dave,

I can't see how the handle works the latch.

But I take it, it has the L shape, and there is NO internal handle.

I have our RK saloon going to Scotland to be restored friday. Wanted to make sure I have all the correct parts.

I should have one L shape. I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks again Tony.

I'll update that looking at your other pics.

The latches have chains same as RN and RP.

thanks tony

My RK has a cord like a Mk1 mini (and a sliding window, and a starter push on the floor) ...nothing new about "retro" ...they were at it in 1959!
I have a question, though, I have no sliding window handles(??) nor catches. Any one know what there should be? Also is there a cover over the latch on the inside of the door?
David

David, the sliding window should have a 'handle' clamped to the leading edge of the glass pane, made of pressed nickel silver. The latch has a pressed brass cover over it. Both these items were very hard to find fifty years ago, so they are no doubt like the proverbial hen's teeth now!

Hopefully someone will be along with photos just to tempt you!

Hi David the original pressed covers on mine are solid nickel silver the same as the reverse catch is made of. Can send pics but need someone to put them here.
Would agree with Mike probably impossible to find now, I have not seen 'any' spares ever. Ian M

I have the remains of an original interior and some of the catches/covers (which Ian M gave me), I can post photos of the detailing in these later in the week and will be very happy to post Ian's photos, as always.

Thanks Ruairidh will remove one this afternoon so I get a better pic and email it to you. Cheers Ian M

I can't get photobucket to do anything sensible.
This is the best I could manage.
http://s105.photobucket.com/user/jim_holyoake/library/Austin/Door%20locks

Is there any system that is more usable than photobucket?

That's the ones exactly Jim, you saved me a job,well done. Cheers Ian M

Hmm! Mine look nothing like that, of course! They are nicely (hand) made in steel, but no flange. I won't attempt a photo...photobucket freezes my internet whenever I try to get anything from it, but I did manage to see one of these photos!
D

Jim Holyoake
I can't get photobucket to do anything sensible.
This is the best I could manage.
http://s105.photobucket.com/user/jim_holyoake/library/Austin/Door%20locks

Is there any system that is more usable than photobucket?

Well things are confusing me at the moment.

I've study several old pictures, and the door latched on the fabric saloon are as Jims. A chain pull through the door pocket.

The aluminium bodied RK seams to be done differently, they are the small size latch same as Jims, but most people seam to have the latter C shape pulls and a chain. Wich means you can't use the lovely pressed covers that are on Jims car.

Any help please.

Tony.

Hi Tony, not sure which part of the set up you are trying to nail, my Fabric Saloon has the pull cord that goes through the door pocket ( for want of a different word as it's not actually a pocket). The door lock is very similar to my 28 Chummy with the addition of a little brass finger with a square for the door handle that operates through a cutout in the bottom of the lock, the nipple on the inner pull cord is attached to a slotted post to operate it. The pull cord is just like a cycle cable with an inner and outer, there is a small tubular fitting with two no.4 raised head screws attached to the rear of the pocket, the outer cable passes through this and the inner cable is only seen inside the door panel.
I have the nickel covers and no inside handle on the lock. Hope this helps Ian M

Tony just removed my lock and sent three pics to Ruairidh to post. Ian M

Also sent pics of the cover to Ruairidh so watch this space. Ian M

hi ian,

yes im trying to work out wich latch or lock to use.

the part the door handle goes through.

ive googled austin 7 RK saloon for pictures.

all the fabric saloons look to have the latches that you are talking about. with the pull cord through the pocket.

many of the aluminium bodied RKs look the have the same size latch, as they are smaller than the latter saloons. but they have the C shape lever, that takes a chain to the top of the door. same as an RP saloon.

im trying to find with one is correct for a 1828 RK saloon aluminium body. NOT fabric.

many thanks for any help.

tony

Hi Tony,our original 1929 RK aluminium Has the pull cord going through the door"Pocket" and no "C" handle hope this helps. Stuart

Thanks stuart.

Tony writes:

On attachments is a pic of the two pull handles on the RK saloon sliding window.

If you don't mind putting it on the thread I started about door latches. As people were asking about them.

photo image-95_zpstk0nelyw.jpg

Ian Moorcraft's photos...

photo IMG_1289_zpsdgq6ggvy.jpg

photo IMG_1291_zpsgqgbg4n2.jpg

photo IMG_1293_zps6q7lvtsh.jpg

photo IMG_1296_zpsxgxxxcs0.jpg

photo IMG_1295_zpsf6cxbcef.jpg

Hi Ian, in your photos there are a number of rings on the handle spindle. The ones at the threaded end are these packing or a spring? The one at the handle end is the ring (I am sure there is a proper name) made of rubber or metal and is it recessed in the middle, looks like it may be in the photo.

Thanks Douglas

I think the RK lock covers are very rare. There are none on my car which is why I photographed them when I coul.
They look to complicated to be reproduced readily.

tony betts

... all the fabric saloons look to have the latches that you are talking about. with the pull cord through the pocket.

many of the aluminium bodied RKs look the have the same size latch, as they are smaller than the latter saloons. but they have the C shape lever, that takes a chain to the top of the door. same as an RP saloon.

im trying to find with one is correct for a 1828 RK saloon aluminium body. NOT fabric.

many thanks for any help.

tony

Tony,

I'm sure all ali-bodied RK saloons had the wire cord going through the door 'pocket'; if you've seen ones with the c-shaped lever and chain, I suspect these have been modified.

Hi Douglas, I put my lock back on the car at ten last night! I do have a spare nickel handle and rings that were rubber on my car but I had them turned out of black nylon.
The order of parts from the thread ends is: split brass ring that crimps into a groove in the square, a double spring, a pair of hollow brass tubes with a square in the end to go over the handle, a thick washer with a square that fits inside the handle.
Will post pics of my spares and a pic of the handle and ring on my car to ever suffering Ruairidh to put up here.
Cheers Ian

Many thanks for the picture R,

I can make up the latches now.

But Ian's pictures may cause me more problems.

I have one of the lock covers, "somewere"? ( it only took me two hours to find the nickle window clips yesterday).

The next problem is I can remember there is two different lengths of shaft on the pressed handles.

Looking at the pics, the RK may have the shorter shaft. And I have the long shaft.

just thought I'd cracked it as well, having everything is loaded for Scotland.

Tony.

Hi Tony, the spare that I talked about above is 1 7/8" from the end of the thread to the bottom of the handle , eyeing it up with the one just fitted back to my car it's the same. Hope this helps Ian

Bob Hughes writes:

Hi Tony, Ruairidh,

Please find attached pic of the locks on my RK Fabric

You will see that they have a handle on the inside along with the cable accessed via the pocket. I am not sure if the handle is original or an add on but it's been there for a long time. The handle is not easy to access, I find it easier to open the window and use the outside door handle.

Hope this helps,

Best Wishes
Bob Hughes

photo DSCN0841_zpsjfwma97u.jpg

Ian M sends these:

photo IMG_1298_zpsjtj2f6qe.jpg

photo IMG_1300_zpszysjl6kd.jpg

and Tony these:

photo image-95_zpsduh2qus7.jpg

photo image-96_zpsj5gbixsy.jpg

thanks for the pics R,

didnt expect you to use your dinner brake.

thanks tony

Ian thanks for the photos. They look similar to Landrover interior door handle escutcheons. But you think they may have been rubber original.

https://www.lrisolutions.co.uk/index.php/genuine-land-rover-defender-interior-front-door-lock-button-90-110-td5-tdci-954.html

Hello again Douglas, it's difficult to say for sure as when I restored the car in the early 70s they appeared to be hard rubber but may have been some sort of fibre type material, I really can't be sure as it was so long ago.
I have always wondered if the Chummies had something similar because the handles are a bit clacky and tend to elongate the hole in the door panel. Cheers Ian

My father's Chummy has these - I am confident that they are not the original ones but they serve the same purpose as yours Ian. I have also seen them on other very original unrestored late AD and AE Tourers, quite degraded.

If someone has a suitable source I would like to buy some.

These rubber door handle grommets were certainly available in a cosiderable quantity up until 3 years ago at the Seven Workshop They may well still be..