Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Supercharger?

Charles P
Malcolm Parker
This type of small compressor is generally referred to as a 'cabin blower' and they can be used as superchargers. Before using it, I would check that it is on the VSCC list of eligible superchargers. If it is not, I would personally think twice about using it. Looking at its general condition it will need a thorough overhaul. If you are not bothered about VSCC eligibility, the way to go would seem to be the small Japanese Asin superchargers which are relatively inexpensive to buy secondhand.

Malcolm

I disagree!
This is a Vacuum Pump. It is designed to suck and has a vane type mechanism inside (I have two already).
A Cabin Blower is designed to blow (unsurprisingly). It works on a Roots principle with lobed rotors.

Anyone who wants to swap two vacuum pumps for one cabin blower will get a free bottle of malt whisky thrown in....

Charles

Have you heard of Foxwell superchargers Charles,I believe they were developed from an industrial vacuum pump.

Why not use it as a vacuum pump and get the best wipers around!

Bob

Austin in the shed
Charles P
Malcolm Parker
This type of small compressor is generally referred to as a 'cabin blower' and they can be used as superchargers. Before using it, I would check that it is on the VSCC list of eligible superchargers. If it is not, I would personally think twice about using it. Looking at its general condition it will need a thorough overhaul. If you are not bothered about VSCC eligibility, the way to go would seem to be the small Japanese Asin superchargers which are relatively inexpensive to buy secondhand.

Malcolm

I disagree!
This is a Vacuum Pump. It is designed to suck and has a vane type mechanism inside (I have two already).
A Cabin Blower is designed to blow (unsurprisingly). It works on a Roots principle with lobed rotors.

Anyone who wants to swap two vacuum pumps for one cabin blower will get a free bottle of malt whisky thrown in....

Charles

Have you heard of Foxwell superchargers Charles,I believe they were developed from an industrial vacuum pump.

New to me Dave.
A quick Google gives me some info from bike sites.
I have no doubt it works and you could use a B3 vacuum pump as a blower. However the insides of the B3 vacuum pump don't inspire confidence.