Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1934 Inquest on Edwin Peabody of Walton Street, Bristol

This came to me today via Ian Moorcraft....

photo A7 mystery_zpses0jgjpw.jpg

Re: 1934 Inquest on Edwin Peabody of Walton Street, Bristol

a crack in the steerer arm...?

Did all models have safety glass?

Perhaps he was giving the car its head.... and lost his.

And just because the brakes were intact does not necessarily mean he could stop!

I think Martin has the crankcase.

Bob - not sure what you mean by safety glass. As at February 1926 Austin offered Triplex (laminated) glass, but only if you paid extra then. Fairly sure it became standard in windscreens later, but so far can't find the time to look it up. Bill in Oz

Hi Bill

Your comments about glass start a whole new topic.
I know veteran cars used window glass, and thought the Seven driver may have encountered!
My RP has side glass labelled TRIPLEX toughened, I suspect the triplex part is just a Trade name. Most cars with true triplex laminated glass went yellow but whilst Ford V8s in this state were common I cannot recall Sevens.

I have not broken any to find out.

Curious what you reckon was used and when?

I'm pretty sure safety glass became standard for windscreens in late 1928/early 1929, and all round in mid-1930.

Hi Bob, if you look closely at the word 'toughened' on triplex glass you will see a dot under one of the nine letters of the word. No dot is the end of each decade, a dot under 'u' the third letter in would mean the glass was made in 1933 for your box Saloon.
This code was used by Triplex up until quite recent times. You should be able to date a car by its glass as they should always have all the glass with the same code providing none has been replaced.
Just a bit of useless information. Ian M