Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flywheel Cover

On a Ruby access is through the floor panel which you have presumably had off?
The sheet metal cover is only to keep objects out (and some of the decibels in). Ensure correct length screws used.

It goes on easily if the floor over the gearbox is removed. Make sure the bolts are short - too long and they can touch the flywheel.

Dave

Clearly telepathic thought travels at 12,000 miles per minute!

After a recent re-build I left this cover loose in case I needed to re-time the engine.
On first start up it sounded like a bag of spanners and was quickly stopped, I expected to see a con-rod poking through the sump.
Amazing how much noise a loose tin plate can make!

Grandpascot - From memory, on one of my Rubys (although it may have been on a Box) all I had to do was loosen the bearings holding the accelerator cross-shaft & squeeze the cover past, but you certainly don't have to remove any engine vitals or lift the body. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill in Oz

Thanks for all your help. I am a newby owner of a Ruby in that I have only owned her for 11 years!! but this is the first time that I have partly rebuilt the engine on my own.

I did not remove the gearbox and it did not occur to me that releasing the gearbox cover from inside the car would sort out my problem but it did.

Henry. Out of which book did you get that illustration as I would be quite keen in obtaining a copy if its still available.

Thanks again.

Mike