Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: For Sale a 1936 Opal Left Hand Drive

The car has recently changed hands, and as such has to carry a new (SIV - système d'immatriculation des véhicules) registration which has the format AB-123-CD and will remain with it for life irrespective of future ownership changes. This is a national system introduced in 2009. There is the possibility of older cars to have the silver on black plates (as in this case) but moderns must have the new style black on white reflective plates front and rear.

If you see a french car with a black on yellow rear plate in the old style format then it hasn't changed hands since 2009 and may well be older, like this one which was first registered in 2001:

You can see my RP in the background with it's old style FNI (Fichier National d'immatriculations) in silver on black. It was registered here in 2003.

Many former rental cars carry a 60 (Picardie) marker - it used to be the cheapest place to register.

This is the new (SIV) style registration plate:

A departmental marker on the new style plates is purely optional and does not have to refer to where the owner is currently resident. In my area there are lots of cars about carrying 2A or 2B markers (Corsica) but I have no idea why, unless they are former hire cars or the owners think that the Cosa Nostra will stop people from tampering with it? There just seems to be too many for them all to be old rentals.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie