Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gear box identification

I have a seven gearbox that's been at the back of my garage for about 20 years, is there a way of identifying what type it is e.g. three or four speed, crash box or synchro

Ron

Re: Gear box identification

4 bolts holding the lid on =3 speed

6 bolts holding the lid on =4 speed

6 bolt lid with a big nut type thing on the front of the gearstick turret =crash box

6 bolt lid, no big nut thing and lid stamped "SYN"= 2 synchro box

6 bolt lid as above but lid stamped "2 SYN"=3 synchro box

Above re 4 speed boxes assumes that the lid belongs with the box. Looking down inside is the best guide.

Thanks for the reply Stuart

Ron

...and don't forget if it has an "S" stamped on the rear of the box by the reverse shaft flange, or on the lid in place of the " SYN, it could well be a Nippy / 65 box.

I may well be wrong, but, doesn't the 3-synchro box have a rounded extra cut-out at the front of the main casting underneath where the lid sits?

Rob
Yes - and this helps if the lids have been swapped!
Colin

Just found the markings under a lot of crud, it is marked 2 SYN 3219 A, I guess that makes it a 3 synchro box, don't know what the cut out on the casing is though, under the plate I assume it is the selector plate sits in 2 half rounds in the casting, next to this is a half round about the size of a 1 penny

Ron

The extra half round cut out is to allow the removal and refitting of the mainshaft. That makes it a 2/3/4 synchro box.

Location: Gard, France 30960. Used to be Languedoc-Roussillon but now it's Occitanie