Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ceramic block sealant...

Reckless Rat
Peter Clayton
Have used "Steal Seal" on a"K" series engined Rover that had a head gasket leak on No. 3 cylinder. Due to the leak it had failed MoT emission test. Having added the sealant I drove the car with a mis-fire for about three miles. The mis-fire gradually went and when tested the emissions were within the limits. As far as I know the problem never returned. At about £30.00 cheaper than a head set.

I hope things work out OK for you Peter with your K series engine. However you may only have put off the inevitable - head gasket problems on the K series engines can be exacerbated by leak sealing compounds which tend to coagulate in the very small galleries in the K series head and block them thereby increasing the risk of overheating and HG failure. If the engine was suffering from a poorly sealing head gasket the best option is a strip down to determine the problem, either replacing the gasket with a newer "Payen blue" type or the multi layer Land Rover solution. Leaks around the fire rings suggest however that the light alloy head has softened due to overheating - you will be able to see this as an indentation in the head, or that the cylinder liners have dropped. There should be a stand proud of the liner/block interface of a couple of thou, but if they've dropped due to overheating then you'll get a leak at the fire ring. If the head is indented this may be recoverable by a skim but a new head may be required. Testing the head by Brinell or diamond indentation will determine if it's still in tolerance.

Not my car actually Reckers,One which I had to Mot a few years back and was running well a couple of years later.My own Rover K series power unit is still going strong at 65K miles and 17 years of service.

Hey R
I have had great success with Ce-lit

The locals won't forgive me if I don't mention JB Weld (longer setting version) after usual cleaning and wedge groove in crack. I've fixed many things...list too long to mention and even cast small unstressed bits with it. Although apparently, much to my horror and loss of credibility it has been in a recent competition with Loctite Steel (and others) and was found to be inferior!

When I last looked into this Belzona was certainly the best sounding stuff to try. The only problem was being the 'professional' stuff I couldn't find anywhere in NZ where you could actually buy it in small quantities to try out. This is the stuff here: http://www.belzona.com/en/applications/engines.aspx

The local NZ distributors are here although the web site descriptions are messed up: http://reptechonlineshop.co.nz/belzona?page=1

It's very expensive stuff!

Simon

We're currently trying Belzona on an old block that's been previously 'cold stitched' and is showing a crack across the stitching. A problem may be that it appears someone's tried using some other product after the stitching, maybe lead.
I'll report back, but it my be some time.

Thank you for the further suggestions and advice, much appreciated.

Ruairidh,
The question has to be asked, with your skill levels and knowledge and low comp heads available at £30 a pop why are you. Messing about with ceramic sealant at circa £10 per block ? . I bet that you have a couple stored away anyway.
Short arms and long pockets ? , the locals are getting to you.

A good point Derek.

Several things,

1. One of the heads is not on an Austin Seven and, although I have spare for that car, it is not the 'correct' head, I would want to change the head gasket as well.

2. The Austin Seven head is not a low compression head, by any means, and is on a rather special engine.

I am loath to disturb the heads on engines that run perfectly and have done so for a very long time.

I am very happy to give some to the recommended stuff a go but do have alternatives, as you suggest, if it proves unsuccessful.

Well I had to ask.
I didn't have any joy with K seal on the Rosengart block hence it got chucked and another found.
Good luck with your endeavour.