Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Getty images archive

lots on here searching on 'Austin' and 'oldest'; racers, Chummies, Ulsters, grasshoppers, nippies...

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/austin---vehicle-brand-name?excludenudity=true&page=1&phrase=austin%20-%20vehicle%20brand%20name&sort=oldest#license

Re: Getty images archive

Well done, Jon. Searching Getty Images usually leaves me in a state of collapse!

Regards,
Stuart

Some fabulous images - including a number of very rare coach-built examples, thanks for sharing!

Great find Jon, almost all of the photos tell a story, some more than others take 9 down on the first column, page 2 (of 471!) of a shot taken on the finishing straight in front of the clubhouse at Brooklands. 'The unidentified Austin GU 4094' looks like a Gordon England Cup (2nd car L) and there's an interesting elevated mobile structure like a gypsy caravan in the background, presumably an observation post for keeping a tally on proceedings/scoring. I might have to chat to someone at Brooklands about this if no-one on the forum knows anything about it. I'll also have to be very careful not to spend too much time on this fascinating site, thanks again for sharing it.

James, that is the Tote betting double decker bus. As well as private bookies at Brooklands such as 'Long Tom' Tote betting was set up in the Paddock. On Track betting was a big part of Brooklands for the spectators.

Thanks for that info. David, just the person I'd expect to know !

James Anderson
, page 2 (of 471!)

bear in mind that its ascending dates from the very oldest, so its going to be quite compact and easy to find everything pertaining to us in the first few pages - I was trying to find whether there were any 30's Austins in the 1960s/70s pictures.

One listed as a '65' turns out to be a Speedy which is still on the register and in use.

I was amazed at the number of Cups/Gordon Englands etc

David Howe sends this photo of the Tote bus!

photo F6F66E00-D7BA-4C94-B9FB-6013936C9DD3_zpsprs6afep.jpg

It is indeed a great site, although I'm not sure how others could claim the credit for the photographs most of which originally appeared in Motor, Autocar, LC&C etc. Have to say some of the descriptions are disappointing in their accuracy, such as the "1922" Seven at the Lord Mayor's parade, Holbrook's "win" etc (he did not win the Brooklands 500 but finished a distant 6th, although he was first in class). Whilst they listed all his relatives etc, they failed to mention his mechanic in the photo who probably did most to help him finish. One good thing was the quality of the photos - although I had most of them before from the respective journals, these are much clearer and reproduce well. Thanks Jon for digging them out. Cheers, Bill

Well done David Howe for the Tote Bus pictures - you have such a great knowledge of the place! Hope to see you about soon.

I've always wondered how Getty got access to the Autocar etc ones, LAT deny selling them to Getty! And as far as I know I was the first to start systematically scanning them.

Another Archive, Brunel's photographs in the Motoring Picture Library

http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/Images?filter=austin+seven&offset=25

Austin Harris
I've always wondered how Getty got access to the Autocar etc ones, LAT deny selling them to Getty! And as far as I know I was the first to start systematically scanning them.

I think Getty are just trying it on; a number of those Getty 'copyright' images also appear on that Motoring Picture Library site as Brunel copyright!

Getty print some lovely car books I picked up one of these some time ago for $20 AUD it has some fantastic photos perfect for the coffee table. Even an Austin 7 or two.